Thieves saying they are from eBay, saying did we buy a Product from China?, you say NO, they say tha

the Person from eBay, with Indian Voice, actually said they were from Australia, " Roger Ransom" but really came from Pakistan , " did I or a family member purchase a product from China, on eBay?" I said NO. False eBay person says " our fraud team thought it was suspicious!, this person was on our Mobile Phone , repeated back to me our eBay account number, asked me for my Bank Pass Word, I do not known it, " NO PROBLEM, he said , download  TEAM VIEWER or ANY DESK, and HE WILL HELP ME THROUGH getting back the REFUND OF $299.00, I agreed, gave him Westpac Card Number, expiry Date CVV No. , then filled out a eBay REFUND FORM.  With small ebay , he then said his team leader would guide me through my access to my Apple iPhone, BUT , this person was just the same voice, I HANG UP. Cancelled Westpac Card, ......... BEWARE ALL eBay SELLERS.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Thieves saying they are from eBay, saying did we buy a Product from China?, you say NO, they say tha

You let a random stranger have access to your computer?

You realise that giving someone access through Team Viewer means you can literally sign your life and savings away?

Why would you even communicate with a stranger who calls you out of the blue? If the number is not in my contacts, I will not answer the phone. If it's a genuine call, they will leave a message.

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

If you filled out their "Ebay" form, you will have given all sorts of identifying and personal information from which a scammer can make your life a misery, including taking out loans in your name.

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

You have been scammed.

You have given the scammer enough information to drain your bank account.

What part of a random call that gave you 'information' that you didn't verify didn't you find suspicious?

What part of requiring access to your computer didn't ring alarm bells?

Did you investigate Team Viewer?

A definite lack of due diligence on your part.

A scenario - if somebody you didn't know approached you on the street, what information would you give? Would you give them access to your computer?

No?

Why would you give a complete stranger the same access just because the request is from a total stranger you can't even look in the eyes?

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

@Davewil is right.

Cancelling the Westpac card is the least of your problems.

Depending on how much information you gave away, I would recommend that you close or change your bank accounts.

You will also need to be on the lookout for identity theft.

You will need to check for scam for Medicare, Centrelink, ATO etc

Also, you will need to do personal credit checks with the various companies like Equifax to make sure nothing has been taken as a loan or on credit in your name.

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

From the eBay website:

Phishing phone calls

eBay is unlikely to make unannounced calls to you about your account.

If you receive a missed call from someone purporting to be from eBay, do not call the number back.

If you're unsure whether the request was genuine or not, check your eBay Messages as we will have also sent you an email.

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

There really isnโ€™t anything to say

You may have cancelled the card but that is not going to be the end of the story

yes, beware , do not give out all your details to scammers

especially when you know that you didnโ€™t buy anything

especially when it would not be eBay ringing about such a thing

If someone is going to happily go ahead and give the caller everything the ask for, no amount of warnings will convince them they are being scammed

There are already dozen upon dozens of posts/warnings about it already on the forum but people still do it

Simply cancelling one card is not even coming close to not having to worry about what they can do now. 

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

Shame on you OP for blatant racism, just because you know the names of a couple of countries, you immediately pin those to a random scammer.

@helenafashions46 wrote:

the Person from eBay, with Indian Voice, actually said they were from Australia, " Roger Ransom" but really came from Pakistan

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

It's not blatant racism. All the OP is saying is it sounded like an overseas scammer, maybe from India, even though purporting to be in Australia.

And you know what, he is probably correct. If not as to exact nationality, then at least to giving all of us a rough idea of what the caller sounded like.

OP is trying to give a heads up here on what to look out for with this scam and as such, descriptions are not racist.

Most of us probably know enough not to fall for the scam but detailed information can be useful for anyone who didn't.

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

Sigh, another racist just popped up!

@springyzone wrote:

All the OP is saying is it sounded like an overseas scammer, maybe from India, even though purporting to be in Australia.

So all scammers emerge from subcontinent, is that what is being implied?

Moreover, how do you know what an Australian person sounds like? Have you ever noticed how many people you encounter on daily basis have an accent?

All I am saying is that labeling and stereotyping people is easy, and racist. So now think before you respond please.

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply