Think I stuffed up.... lost item, WWYD?

Am unsure how to handle this from here, advice welcome Smiley Happy

Order rec’d 15 Jul, mailed 16th as a standard package with tracking, no extras. Rural Vic to rural NSW. Last seen at Granville-

Mon 27 Jul 2015 20:08
Customer Enquiry lodged
MILTON QLD

Fri 17 Jul 2015 20:53
Processed through Australia Post facility
GRANVILLE NSW

Thu 16 Jul 2015 09:37
Received by Australia Post
BALNARRING VIC

The address on the order had a peculiar street name, and a google maps search at the time couldn’t find it. I figured I could either contact the buyer to check they’d typed their address correctly, or just mail it as instructed. Given the buyer had clearly received other items recently, and for deep rural areas google maps isn’t necessarily all-knowing, I chose the latter. Possibly a mistake.

I noticed it hadn’t arrived and both contacted the buyer asking if the addy was correct & lodged the enquiry with AP. I haven’t heard from the buyer at all and they don’t seem to’ve been active since they made this purchase and others. Lucky for me they haven’t just launched INR on this. Still, they’ve paid for something they don’t yet have & I want to fix it.

AP called to say ‘10 days investigation blah blah’, which is nearly up, I’ll give them a call on day 10 if I hear nothing. They said it’d be returned to sender if it was undeliverable, but I’ve actually never seen that happen personally.

I do have the receipt with postcode, so could potentially argue the ‘handed to carrier’ issue, but I’m not actually facing an INR, yet.

So... what should I have done differently and what now?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Many thanks digitalghost. That was a great exposition of the issues, and you've helped solidify a few things that were whirling uncertainly in my brain.

You are one great resource. I wIsh they'd hire you to write the help & info section.

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

Kopenhagen, how funny.... I'll keep an eye out for a Danish windsurfer. In fact if I see anyone windsurfing in this weather I'm just going to assume it's you.  Smiley LOL

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

He'll probably be wearing a Hachimaki, so should be easy to spot ....................roflmao.gif

Spoiler
All 4 one kopes....................grovel.gif

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

@elusiveeditions wrote:

You are one great resource. I wIsh they'd hire you to write the help & info section.

Smiley Embarassed Thank you 🙂 

To be honest, though, they (probably) couldn't pay me enough to have to say "I do", when someone says "you must work for eBay". 😄 

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

A little update on this:

After only a little faffing around, AP actually mailed me a money order covering both item & postage cost. Faintly stunned I was! I wonder how many 'discrentionary' payments like this they're prepared to do? One a year, etc? Interesting!

Still not heard a word from the buyer, but refunded their original payment and sent another message as to why, to be done with it. Strange that they seem to've been quite active in their buying yet haven't noticed/cared what happened to this purchase. Nice for some I guess! Ah well, at least they got their money back for a genuine AP-fauIt INR, whether they notice or not 🙂

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Excellent outcome.

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply