This Is Code for "I Want to Scam You", Right?

Message received earlier today:

"Hello dear I like this product [item name] please contact me thank you have a nice day"

I have a near-irresitable urge to respond to most messages I receive, just due to being polite, which almost always results in me replying to messages I say I won't, eventually. Sometimes it's out of sheer curiosity, or because I read far to many "Snappy answers to stupid questions..." collections as a kid and something pushes my sarcasm button, so I'm basically just fishing for the confirmation that this is a message to be ignored, with the intent to distract my attention, strengthen my resolve, and quell my rising sarcasm level Smiley Embarassed Smiley LOL (Or, you know, feel free to quench it by suggesting your own Smiley Happy ). 

Spoiler
Primary red flags, just in case - addressing me as "dear", and zero substance to the message, as in no questions, or reasons given why they want me to contact them. Item in question is just a $9 hand tool, BTW Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Wait a minute... I thought I recognised his style! Yes, it's David of the "Drawing of a spider" fame.

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

It's just dumb enough to be genuine. Are they a newbie? Some people really don't know they have to buy through ebay. Having said that, I'd most likely ignore it.
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

I got the seller one:

Hi,FriendsThis is Yang from ebay, we want to post a deal on Ozbargain ,we have a great off today,pls check the following link with OZbargain item number This is my link:with eBay item number You just have to send it to the above according to what I sent,OK?Can you post a deal for us,we can give you a free golf rangefinder or we can give you some recompense,ok? Hope your early reply.Best Regards,Yang

It goes to Ozbargain and you get 10% of you buy via the eBay app.

But I have no idea what they are on about,(it's a new one on me),tease.gif

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I'm currently listening to Dreams

Tempted to sing

Scammers always scam you when they're scamming 

I am so creative 

Cat Wink

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

I got the seller one:

Hi,FriendsThis is Yang from ebay, we want to post a deal on Ozbargain ,we have a great off today,pls check the following link with OZbargain item number This is my link:with eBay item number You just have to send it to the above according to what I sent,OK?Can you post a deal for us,we can give you a free golf rangefinder or we can give you some recompense,ok? Hope your early reply.Best Regards,Yang

It goes to Ozbargain and you get 10% of you buy via the eBay app.

But I have no idea what they are on about,(it's a new one on me),tease.gif

It sounds like they are asking you to post their deal on the site, with the offer of something for free (OzBargain's content is community-generated, anyone can post even reps of businesses, so still a pretty dubious request).

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

No intention of following up on it and I don't use Wifi on my phone so no eBay app,give_rose.gif

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

there is no cure for curiosity

Spoiler
They were trying to sell me something Smiley Embarassed Smiley Embarassed Smiley LOL "We are manufactures and exports [product type] products best quality product we have more products [product type]  
Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

You couldn't resist...

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

No... 

sigh

I lasted more than 24 hours, though, which is pretty good for me - they responded in less than an hour, but my curiosity is sated, at least in this regard. Smiley LOL

Stoopid ambiguous people with mysterious messages.

frustrated

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

Well, next time you'll know to tell them about the pgymies.

I haven't followed in James Veitch's footsteps, primarily because if I'm going to spend time on the antonym of a long con, I want it to be appreciated. That would mean I'd have to become a stand-up comedian and share the experience. I'm just not prepared for that!

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply