Time for ebay to allow negs to be left for non-payment

Hi all

I have read the past threads and see why people say this is not workable because negs do not stop people buying and to set your ebay settings to block people with strikes etc etc.

BUT

What about in the instance of items where you accept offers? I think it is stupid in the first instance for a non-payer to not at least get some automated neg for a successful non-payment claim, but negative feedback in this instance would at least be useful for assessing someone who may make an offer on an item.

Hell I cannot even leave a positive with a negative message these days I've noticed.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Dave, I don't think that's the same. By placing a bid and winning, they've chosen to buy. Bids on eBay is a contract. If they then don't pay, then they've wasted people's time.
Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I don't think it would be any kind of deterrent. The serial pests will still do it because they know there are no ramifications. They also know that most sellers don't have blocks in place.

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

Hell, 8 feedback as a seller in the last 12 months.

I'm not sure how this is impacting your eBay business model, but I suspect not at all.

Of course if you have another account that has been impacted or you are simply trying to advertise, then carry on.

Yes other account for my business but my personal account I only sell higher priced personal items. Get it onmy business account as I do not have an offer option but this is the first time I have actually thought "I would have not accepted this person offer had I known they were a deadbeat if they had done this to someone else but there is no way of knowing easily if they did".

So easy for a buyer to check a sellers reputation to make a decision to buy an item, not so easy for sellers.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

That is a bit rough labelling all buyers deadbeats because they have an unpaid item on their record.

I have bought over 15000 items on ebay and have 5 unpaid items on my record....so I am a deadbeat by your standards.

Every one of my unpaid items was unpaid for a very good reason.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

@*bellee* wrote:
Dave, I don't think that's the same. By placing a bid and winning, they've chosen to buy. Bids on eBay is a contract. If they then don't pay, then they've wasted people's time.

By taking stuff to the checkout they have entered into, at least, a tender.

Bids on eBay is a contract. - Perhaps, but it is unenforcable unless consideration takes place. I am fairly sure it is an offer to buy until such time as some form of consideration is exchanged

However, the LEGAL ramifications are pretty much the same. As eBay won't come to the party, that would leave the seller holding the defamation bag.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I can see why ebay won't show a person's strikes, they don't want to shame someone or scare them off the site. From their point of view, even if a bad buyer only buys occasionally, it is still a win for ebay. Ebay even wins on some 'sales' where the bidder doesn't pay because you can bet your boots not all sellers know how to open a dispute, or can be bothered even if they do know.

What I think should be done is if anyone gets a non payment strike, or a negative, one point should be taken off their total score.

Sellers have the option to block buyers who have a low score (I think it is less than 10? Not sure).

The problem with the current system is a person can accumulate dozens and dozens of negs and a few bidders do. Yet there they are with what look to be decent scores. If they lost a point each time, they might dip into negative or at least below 10 and that would have some effect on their ability to buy from some sellers.

It wouldn't stop non paying bidders but at least they would be showing a score that was more indicative of their real performance.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Springy, what good would it do in my case if ebay deducted a point for each of my unpaid items.....even if they deducted 100 points it would not make a dent on my overall score.

You cannot assume all unpaid items strikes are caused by uncaring, malicious or downright nasty buyers.   Some of us have very good reasons for declining to pay....certainly not change of mind.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

You cannot assume all unpaid items strikes are caused by uncaring, malicious or downright nasty buyers.   Some of us have very good reasons for declining to pay....certainly not change of mind.

How very true Lyndal. Most of we old timers remember when there was a lot of activity on the boards and a dedicated cadre of scambusters. Many a time a buyer would come and ask if they had made a mistake buying an item and if it was obviously a scam then they were advised not to pay. Some members were evem prepared to go above and beyond and outbid others knowing that if it did turn out to be genuine they would have to pay but inevitably on investigation by ebay the items were removed before the end of the unpaid item process (used to be 7 days, not 4)

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply