Turbo lister is so...odd!

It just does random things!

Yesterday it would selectively choose which bullets points it would allow to be uploaded to Ebay. After an 8 hour struggle I managed to get one listing perfect to be used as a template. This morning it decided to add random spaces in my template and my perfect template is no longer perfect.... Even when I remove the gaps then they just re-appear when I switch between description and the main page.

Then there is the extra coding that gets introduced once it gets loaded onto Ebay. I don't know what to do anymore. I've got a hundred listings and after a week and am only up to 33 with all gremlins.

I've removed the original program and re-installed, I've downloaded all the updates, I've switched to XP mode ....what else needs to be done to get this thing to behave?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Turbo lister is so...odd!

Just having a quick look at your code in your current "trailer light" it looks like you are using Microsoft Office to write your descriptions.  This will cause problems with your HTML.  You are far better to use Notepad or even better Notepad ++.  If you must use Word etc then save as txt and then paste into your descriptions.  Use the design view in Turbo Lister to format bullets etc. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

I find the problem is not so much turbo lister as it is ebay.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Hi, thanks for your quick response and advice. It's actually for another Ebay store I have and not for the trailer lights.

That said I do use Word to prepare all my listings. I did try just writing in the design view in TL but couldn't create the columns which I need (I think) to reduce the length of the listing.  I'll check out Notepad and Notepad ++

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

If you want columns and charts why not use a template builder likes robshelp, it is free to store up to 10 templates. Good for you if you can create your own html but if you are using another program like Word better to use a program specially formulated for use on ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Thanks for letting me know about Robshelp.  I'll check it out too.

Cheers ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

As the other person said above - you need to use notepad. Word messes up HTML. Never use word when submitting HTML forms, or creating websites etc.

HTML requires text to be in a code called ASCII, or "plain text" (code, as in computer language, not font).  Word does NOT use this. Word does have an option to save your work as a .HTML file, even then, it generally doesnt work properly.

This is why you must use notepad.

Using Word to write text for a HTML form, is a bit like using a sieve to boil water - you can certainly try it, but thats not what its for.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Basically MS Word gives a very bloated HTML and has inline styles (eg style="font-size: 4pt") which can over ride CSS stylesheets.  Hence the changes in formating.

• Example is Red
  • Here we have Blue
    and another colour

The HTML is

<UL>

<LI>Example is <FONT color=#ff0000>Red</FONT></LI>

<LI>Here we have <FONT color=#0000ff>Blue</FONT><BR>and another <FONT color=#00ff00><U>colour</U></FONT></LI></UL>

if you do it in Word it is

<P class=MsoListParagraphCxSpLast style="TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">ยท<SPAN style='FONT: 7pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-themecolor: text1">Here we have </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: #00b0f0">Blue<BR></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-themecolor: text1">and another </SPAN><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #92d050">colour</SPAN></U></I></P>

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@fred_foofighter wrote:

Basically MS Word gives a very bloated HTML and has inline styles (eg style="font-size: 4pt") which can over ride CSS stylesheets.  Hence the changes in formating.

• Example is Red
  • Here we have Blue
    and another colour

The HTML is

<UL>

<LI>Example is <FONT color=#ff0000>Red</FONT></LI>

<LI>Here we have <FONT color=#0000ff>Blue</FONT><BR>and another <FONT color=#00ff00><U>colour</U></FONT></LI></UL>

if you do it in Word it is

<P class=MsoListParagraphCxSpLast style="TEXT-INDENT: -18pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">ยท<SPAN style='FONT: 7pt "Times New Roman"'>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-themecolor: text1">Here we have </SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: #00b0f0">Blue<BR></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; mso-themecolor: text1">and another </SPAN><I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #92d050">colour</SPAN></U></I></P>

My cats breath smells like cat food ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ ๐Ÿ˜„ 

I thought medical terminology and drug calculations were hard, WOW!!! That's all complete double Dutch to me ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply