Unauthorised Transaction lodged with Paypal

I've received notification from Paypal that a customer has lodged an 'Unauthrised Transaction' & filed a case with their financial institution. They are saying that someone made the order without their permission.

I had no reason to be suspicious of this buyer. I had several messages from them over a 5 day period, firstly asking for postage quote and then advising me that they had made the purchase and then in response to my messages advising them of their tracking number & delivery date estimation.  The delivery address was the same for ebay as well as paypal, so nothing to cause suspicion.

Surely if they have allowed someone esle to have access to their ebay/paypal information, that shouldn't have to fall on me?

I have supplied paypal with Aust Post tracking number as well as screen shot showing the tracking & delivery of the parcel, so surely they can't find against me in this case?

Has anyone else had a situation like this?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@munchkin83munchkin wrote:

Thanks for the information about ACORN....so you sent that message to the buyer or Paypal?

To the buyer. With the ones that cried "hacked", although I didn't believe them I played along with the story and made it all come across as a "don't worry, we'll get the jerks who did this!" kind of thing. I found out some information through some very quick searches (one of the buyers had used a fake name, but their real name and other information was easy to find, so I sent them an email and told them I had really good news, that I had found out all this information about the recipient of the goods and that I'll be passing the info along in my report, then I told them the info and said I hope it helps them with their report(s) and getting the "culprit" charged. The buyer shut down their eBay account Smiley LOL I haven't checked up on them recently, though, but I hope they learned a lesson). 

Basically, although I try to word it in a non-accusatory way, as though I'm not blaming them and I just have to follow this procedure and hopefully whoever committed this hack / fraud will be caught, the main reason I came on so strong with the buyers is I wanted these people to know that sellers have options when it comes to theft and fraud, and that just because someone may be able to steal their money back, that kind of action is not just a neat trick people can pull to get a free item, but that it can have very real and serious consequences, so their $6 item better be worth facing criminal charges (that is how much one of my chargebacks was for ๐Ÿ˜• how likely criminal charges would be is debateable, but I also tell them that the ACORN report is held permanently, so they're aware that if they continue with this behaviour, those consequences are inevitable), and if I scared just one of those people enough not to do it again, all the more better). 

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

No, they didn't leave feedback. I've check their previous feedback and all seems good.  When I first contacted her she was quite rude & stroppy. I then sent her a message yesterday advising her that it has nothing to do with paypal hacking & that the complaint has come from her financial institution.....have not had a response.

I will be sending her a message today to let her know that I will be contacting ACORN

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

Yes, I did similar yesterday. I sent a message that was making any accusations towards her. I advised her that Paypal had notified me that the Unauthorised Transaction had come from her financial institution and I am concerned it may be possible that her bank account may also have been hacked and she should make contact with them to look into this possibility.....no response.

Today I am going to let her know that due to procedure and the fact that hacking may have taken place on her paypal account and bank account, I have no choice but to refer the matter to ACORN

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply