Unfair Ebay Search results for Australian Sellers "Default search results" one for the Aus sellers

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

Why does the default landing page always show global results as default? 

In short,  if I am on "ebay.com.au" searching for something,  why do the search results show sellers from all around the world as "Default"??   This is very unfair on Australian based sellers. 

I think the correct system should show Australian based items/sellers as a default... if I want to look for international, then I can click that option.

The problem with this current set up is,  buyers usually dont see our items amongst the huge flood of international sellers...  

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Unfair Ebay Search results for Australian Sellers "Default search results" one for the

@arlottstreetstation wrote:
I received one of "Questionnaires" the other day asking me about my preferences on this very subject.... It presented me with 3 different scenarios for Listings showing in my searches.... A: As it is now with the option to select Aust. Only B: The one that is beginning to show in certain Categories where it clearly gives you an option at the top of the page to click on a Link to show only Aust. Sellers... and C: All of the Aust. Seller's Listings atomically showing first & then O/S further down.... Naturally I selected Option 3 as my preferred choice..... Will be interesting if anything comes of it....

That would be great and fair if they did do that 

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Re: Unfair Ebay Search results for Australian Sellers "Default search results" one for the

@arlottstreetstation wrote:
I received one of "Questionnaires" the other day asking me about my preferences on this very subject.... It presented me with 3 different scenarios for Listings showing in my searches.... A: As it is now with the option to select Aust. Only B: The one that is beginning to show in certain Categories where it clearly gives you an option at the top of the page to click on a Link to show only Aust. Sellers... and C: All of the Aust. Seller's Listings atomically showing first & then O/S further down.... Naturally I selected Option 3 as my preferred choice..... Will be interesting if anything comes of it....

I also selected option 3 in that survery. When it gave the opportunity to write something, I mentioned how Australia only should be sellers with an Australian address (either residential or business). I also made mention of the new Chinese tactic of saying they are in Darwin.I actually wrote quite a lot in that box, but I highly doubt they'll take any notice.

Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member

The point I'm trying to make is,

When opening ebay.com.au the default search results with having to select anything should be Australian based sellers.

Then there is always the option to click on worldwide to further your search.

This would at least show buyers that things are available from Australian sellers, rather than the current system.  

Example: search iphone case and you get 1,714,602 listing resuts when in default settings.  Now do the same search after selecting Australia only and you get 596,268 results (which of corse there are probably plenty of false item locations in those).  Considering those resluts alone, your listing would 3x the chances of being veiwed by an Australian buyer.

My point is, unless you are savy with ebays search system which many ebay users ARE NOT then the chances of buying local have been reduced purely by numbers. 

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Most of the item locations AREN'T false, they show up because the overseas seller ONLY posts to Australia on that listing. You could probably bet that in the case of the Chinese, they would have listings on nearly every eBay site which only post to that particular country, so they can be sure to show up in their search results. If they list on the US site, their listings will say they post to US only. If they list on the Indian site, they will post to India only. They know how to work the system.

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I have the opposite problem. Every time I do a search I only get Australian listings and I have to select worldwide. Which is just as annoying
Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

just did a "within 1500km search (eneloop batteries) and its results are all mixed up (like ebay itself) australia,japan,netherlands,hong kong and spain. no china. Robot Frustrated

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@4green2000 wrote:

just did a "within 1500km search (eneloop batteries) and its results are all mixed up (like ebay itself) australia,japan,netherlands,hong kong and spain. no china. Robot Frustrated

You should not be seeing items located in Japan, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Spain because they are certainly way outside of 1500 kms from any Australian Postcode.

I did this same search and I could see some results where the item title said "Made in Japan" or similar. But the item was phyiscally located inside AU as it should be for this search.

I use Innamincka (5731) as the postcode when I do these broad searches as its pretty much in the geographical centre of Australia. That way you don't eleimnate too much of mainland Australia.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

You should not be seeing items located in Japan, Netherlands, Hong Kong, Spain because they are certainly way outside of 1500 kms from any Australian Postcode.

I did this same search and I could see some results where the item title said "Made in Japan" or similar. But the item was phyiscally located inside AU as it should be for this search.

I use Innamincka (5731) as the postcode when I do these broad searches as its pretty much in the geographical centre of Australia. That way you don't eleimnate too much of mainland Australia.

just did another search within 1500km from my postcode and these ones came up (japan,netherlands,hong kong but not spain this time).

391451320614, 291411023042, 172236499764

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

Yes you are correct.... I am amazed.

Now this is very strange. It says item location is Netherlands on the one I looked for.

I also put 1500 kms from my postcode 4510 and still got these in the search results.

The listing says they post to Australia, USA, Japan, Canada, NZ, Russia.

This is plain wrong and not the way I thought this filter should be working. Certainly Netherlands is way outside 1500 kms from me.

Netherlands.JPG

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

I totally agree i had an ebay store for years done very well , closed ist down 3 years ago, so now i just opened a new store and

cannot belive how hard it is to sell my product here  on Ebay Australia evryone time i search product similar to mine all overseas sellers

come up from China & now India, I have have only sold 6 products in 5 weeks where before was always over 20 a month what is

happening here !!! on Ebay australia

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply