Want to give away some prizes to customers in March to celebrate turning 60.

I emailed ebay after reading that selling lottery tickets and running listing for gambling are a No No but they never got back to me, so it's a bit unclear to me whether or not it's OK!

It's more a trade promotion I have in mind.  I thought what the hell, I never thought I would get to 60 and still be alive but here I am!

Anyone ever run a trade promotion on ebay?

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

First off I'm a buyer not a seller so I have no idea about trade promotions.

But I would think that sending a scratchie or lotto ticket as a freebee shouldn't be a problem, unless the buyer has a thing about gambling, (I'm assuming a scratchie is valid from one state to another........)

I would however not put the fact that you'll send them into your listings, that may raise the ire of eBay.

If nothing else this post has bumped your thread to the top where some more knowledgeable member may see it.

Happy 60th for next month !!!!!

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

you may run into legal problems as even scratchy tickets are a form of gambling. your state govt webite might have rules on buying, selling and giving free these things. i just did a quick google search and my states website has quite a long list of requirements relating to scratchy type tickets. ebay might not do anything until someone reports you. after saying all that there may be nothing wrong with what your doing. but laws are often written as 'not knowing is no excuse' your still guilty. best to do some homework here i rekon.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Listings that promote giveaways or prizes are not allowed.

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/listing-bonus-prize-giveaway-raffle.html

However it doesn't stop you from sending a freebie with any items you sell, just don't mention it in the listings.

May make some customers very happy to receive a little surprise. Smiley Happy

Edit - And Happy Birthday. 

image host
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Fencing.gif     ava good one kopes.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@repoohsj52 wrote:

I emailed ebay after reading that selling lottery tickets and running listing for gambling are a No No but they never got back to me, so it's a bit unclear to me whether or not it's OK!

It's more a trade promotion I have in mind.  I thought what the hell, I never thought I would get to 60 and still be alive but here I am!

Anyone ever run a trade promotion on ebay?

Just be careful as you may get buyers out there demanding a winning ticket,(also sending them interstate is'nt

an option as they can't cash them in as they are all state based),ok.gif

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Well done on reaching the big 60. Smiley Happy

By all means give a gift of some description, i wouldn't give where a prize is redeemable you may just be asking for trouble.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Thanks for the replies.  I won't go ahead with it even though there are no problems with the government.......but if I can't advertise a trade promotion on ebay it's not really much help!

I'll keep the big screen TV and gold bars for myself!  Man Wink

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply