Wanting postage difference back

I had a buyer asking for the difference of the postage back after he has recieved and payed for it, In all my years of selling I have heard something so dumb, set price he payed I sent he got that should be it.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

What exactly did the buyer  want back -- the difference between how much the postage cost you and how much you charged him for postage?

or

the whole amount of postage he paid back?

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

@bilbobaggins86 wrote:

In all my years of selling I have heard something so dumb, 

I have heard of buyers requesting refunds for 5-10c when the postage paid on the package was that much less than the buyer paid. 

I also once heard a buyer demand money from a seller because the buyer pulled out of the sale, so the seller relisted and sold the item at a higher price, and the buyer then figured they were responsible for the seller making more money so they should have a piece of it. Smiley LOL

The only thing you can do is try to explain as politely and professionally as possible that P&H includes all the costs incurred to package and send their item safely, which is always higher than the stamp price on a package. 

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

Could you give a little more info ? What was the cost to send and what did he pay ? He must have thought there was a difference ?

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

How much do you add as a handling charge? I rarely add more than a dollar plus 50c for the cost of packaging, sometimes an item goes for less than I have quoted for in which case I do refund the difference.

While you do not have to explain yourself you could tell them that delivery charges consist of the actual postage cost plus the cost of packaging materials and a reasonable charge for the time it takes to pack the item in line with ebay's policy (if you pay extra for SOD, insurance or anything include that) and send them a link to ebay's polocy.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

They buyer may not be aware that eBay gets 9.9% of the postage paid also.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

I had $40 postage because it was heavyier than stuff I sale and postage ended up being $22 seeing as I accepted his offer for of $300 when I had it listed for $350 I'd say he did alright

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

He wants the money I didn't' spend on the postage
Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

$18 for packaging and handling is outrageous and the delivery cost has nothing to do with how much the buyer offered. I would have refunded them at least $14 as soon as I got back from the PO.  It would not have happened though as I am perfectly capable of working out what the postage is going to be without guestimating.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

So he wants $18.00 back ? I would say that he is within his rights to get it back. Regardless of what you accepted as an offer, postage was $22 and he was charged $40  I wouldn't be all that thrilled either .

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply