What Australian ombudsman do I contact to file a complaint against ebay?

I have beeen trying to sort an issue with ebay out for a while now. In a nutshell ebay has been the most evasive and unhelpful organisation I have ever dealt with.

Is there an ombudsman that can help with this issue? I am based in Australia.

Message 1 of 146
Latest reply
145 REPLIES 145

I would like to add another perspective to this thread.

I have noticed several nefarious activities of late with SHILL BIDDERS bumping up prices.

It is especially bad on Chinese sellers listings.

They will use multiple accounts aways 2 days old to double the price of an auction.

If you notice the shill bidding and stop you will get a 2nd chance offer 100% of the time, as long as a legitimate bidder doesnt fall for the scam and make a legitimate bid over you.

Reporting shill bidding to EBAY is fruitless. You get generic responses from reps with very poor english skills.

Ebay will remove these accounts only after they fail the verification process, by which time the shill bidders are using new accounts.

Secondly. I have also had items i listed bid on by shill bidders. 

I had listed a phone for sale 4 times, and each time it was won by a shill bidder who would not pay and would not respond.

The only winners in that is EBAY. If they are complicit and even behind shill bidding accounts on their platform they increase their profit margin.

There is a conspiracy to manipulate prices on here and i would steer clear of using this platform from now on. As a long standing member with an account since 2004, i have been left with an extrememly bitter taste in my mouth in the past couple years since O/S scammers seem to have taken over the IT and customer service areas.

Message 31 of 146
Latest reply

@kreed909 wrote:

I had listed a phone for sale 4 times, and each time it was won by a shill bidder who would not pay and would not respond.

The only winners in that is EBAY. If they are complicit and even behind shill bidding accounts on their platform they increase their profit margin.

There is a conspiracy to manipulate prices on here and i would steer clear of using this platform from now on. As a long standing member with an account since 2004, i have been left with an extrememly bitter taste in my mouth in the past couple years since O/S scammers seem to have taken over the IT and customer service areas.

That is not shill bidding, shill bidding is where the seller uses another account to inflate the selling price.

Did you open a "non-paying buyer" dispute against the "buyer"? If you did then you would have got your fees back and the "buyer" would have got a strike against their account. Meaning that any sensible seller who has their blocks in place would not be troubled by this or any other buyer with 2 or more strikes in 12 months. 

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 32 of 146
Latest reply

@kreed909 wrote:

I have noticed several nefarious activities of late with SHILL BIDDERS bumping up prices.

They will use multiple accounts aways 2 days old to double the price of an auction.

please tell me how you know the accounts are “2 days old”?  I’ve seen the symbol that indicates that an account is new i.e. opened within the last 30 days, but never anything that would tell me it was only 2 days old.

Message 33 of 146
Latest reply

As you have no idea what shill bidding really is I am not surprised that ebay takes no notice of your reports....They will only do something if they are able to link the two accounts involved, otherwise, forget it.

Message 34 of 146
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@kreed909 wrote:

please tell me how you know the accounts are “2 days old”?  I’ve seen the symbol that indicates that an account is new i.e. opened within the last 30 days, but never anything that would tell me it was only 2 days old.

I've seen plenty of IDs that show the full date of when they joined, eg. 26.1.18.  Perhaps they show the day and month for a short time after someone creates an ID.

Edit: okay, you can't see this on an ID you're bidding against because you don't see their username, but you see it if they buy from you.

Message 35 of 146
Latest reply

Hello, did you ever get anwhere reporting eBay? as I myself am having trouble with eBay's "Criminal" behaviour, they are not following their own rules and regulations and have several "traps" set in place to stop people getting the justice they deserve, like when reporting an illegal transaction of someone returning a faulty item that was never faulty to begin with they make me wait over 60 days, then they tell me they cant do anything about the problem because it has been over 60 days since the incident! I have been a loyal seller/customer with eBay for over 10 years and sold a Playstation 4 only to have the buyer keep and use it for over 20 days and then return it as faulty and leave me Negative feedback for the first time in 10 years, the PS4 was not broken or faulty at all, in fact I my nephew has been playing on it for the last few days, ebay refuses to help with the Negative feedback or do anything to punish the lying buyer who will surely do this again to someone else who eBay will not help either, I will go and see a solicitor and attempt to sue ebay for damages, stress etc, but I would rather not pay all that money if I can avoid it, so did you ever find an Australian organization that could help you?

Thanks,

Carl.S.

Message 36 of 146
Latest reply

Maybe so, but eBay & Paypal are both the largest "Criminal" organizations in the world and they are both in cahoots with each other, the owners need to be wiped off the face of this earth and so do the next owners and the next owners after that until they get the message, The Australian goverment loves them and will always protect anyone that makes them money no matter how illegal or how many people die in the process.

Message 37 of 146
Latest reply

@permanent_inc wrote:

Maybe so, but eBay & Paypal are both the largest "Criminal" organizations in the world and they are both in cahoots with each other, the owners need to be wiped off the face of this earth and so do the next owners and the next owners after that until they get the message, The Australian goverment loves them and will always protect anyone that makes them money no matter how illegal or how many people die in the process.

Apart from the 10% service provision tax, how does eBay/Paypal make money for the government ??????

Oh, and "schmoolou" hasn't been back here since they started the thread nearly 3 years ago, so you won't get an answer from them I suspect.

Message 38 of 146
Latest reply

@permanent_inc wrote:

Hello, did you ever get anwhere reporting eBay? as I myself am having trouble with eBay's "Criminal" behaviour, they are not following their own rules and regulations and have several "traps" set in place to stop people getting the justice they deserve, like when reporting an illegal transaction of someone returning a faulty item that was never faulty to begin with they make me wait over 60 days, then they tell me they cant do anything about the problem because it has been over 60 days since the incident! I have been a loyal seller/customer with eBay for over 10 years and sold a Playstation 4 only to have the buyer keep and use it for over 20 days and then return it as faulty and leave me Negative feedback for the first time in 10 years, the PS4 was not broken or faulty at all, in fact I my nephew has been playing on it for the last few days, ebay refuses to help with the Negative feedback or do anything to punish the lying buyer who will surely do this again to someone else who eBay will not help either, I will go and see a solicitor and attempt to sue ebay for damages, stress etc, but I would rather not pay all that money if I can avoid it, so did you ever find an Australian organization that could help you?

Thanks,

Carl.S.

AND

Carl, welcome to the boards.  When replying to a post by another member, please take a note of the date the post was made.  The poster you replied to, and sought information about how they got on, has not been on these boards for near on 3 years.

ADED6A83-AF44-42F4-A5D8-02737681E878.jpeg

. . . . . the owners need to be wiped off the face of this earth and so do the next owners and the next owners after that until they get the message

You lost me once I read this.  Even if you don’t mean it and are just venting, it is a bit worrying.

Edit: I’m too slow padi, but I will keep my eye out in February.

Message 39 of 146
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Edit: I’m too slow padi, but I will keep my eye out in February.

Ah slr, busy turning the snaggers on the barbie were ya. Have a good Oz Day young fella.

meanwhile....................

200.gif

Message 40 of 146
Latest reply