What Thermal Printers do you guys use? Any Recommendations?

Im looking into getting a new thermal printer.. currently we have a generic chinese one which is taking its last breaths...

The two which I like most are BROTHER QL-1100 and ZEBRA GD420

Which one do you guys prefer? Any other reccomendations are also welcome!

thanks!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is several threads on thermal printers here. The biggest issue is dots per inch, especially if you plan to print Australia Post postage labels. Due to their vertical placement which no other carrier does, you need 300dpi to print the bars clear enough. A 200dpi printer doesn't have the resolution and white space between bars merge into blocks.

However AP like many carriers are trending towards QR and DataMatrix square codes as they carry more data and easier to print and scan. 200dpi printers are fine with squares.

The Brother QL series use proprietary stationery so your cost goes up. Generic thermal labels near one quarter the cost. Zebra printers are expensive though and never buy a second hand thermal printer as generally the print head needs replacing, and that's why they are selling it ! Thermal print heads generally cost more than a new printer !

Bigger the printer - longer it lasts and many people who buy smaller units, end up replacing them within 1-2 years.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

I use a lazer printer, a Kyochera, way quicker than a themal.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

What do you classify as quick haha, Also OP I have the dymo 4XL
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

@danieh_6 wrote:

What do you classify as quick haha, Also OP I have the dymo 4XL

Probably about 1 page every 5 seconds.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

The Dymo 4xl has been the most recommended whenever I've seen anyone else ask this question, I'm guessing that means it's pretty popular and does the job well.

I bought a Zebra machine about 2 years ago and I've been really happy with it  - its RRP is more than twice what the Dymo is currently priced at, but I wanted a reliable workhorse with lowest cost of ownership possible (i.e. I'm fine with a bigger outlay if long term costs of running and consumables works out lower) and I found Zebra to be the top recommended brand for those attributes.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

There is several threads on thermal printers here. The biggest issue is dots per inch, especially if you plan to print Australia Post postage labels. Due to their vertical placement which no other carrier does, you need 300dpi to print the bars clear enough. A 200dpi printer doesn't have the resolution and white space between bars merge into blocks.

However AP like many carriers are trending towards QR and DataMatrix square codes as they carry more data and easier to print and scan. 200dpi printers are fine with squares.

The Brother QL series use proprietary stationery so your cost goes up. Generic thermal labels near one quarter the cost. Zebra printers are expensive though and never buy a second hand thermal printer as generally the print head needs replacing, and that's why they are selling it ! Thermal print heads generally cost more than a new printer !

Bigger the printer - longer it lasts and many people who buy smaller units, end up replacing them within 1-2 years.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Bügger off with your self-promoting spam.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

An update to my original post 15 months ago...
I ended up buying a Zebra GX430t.. this version can do 300dpi which turned out to be very important for AUSPOST eParcel labels.. their barcode is very narrow and any DPI setting lesser than 300 on thermal has the chance to smudge it.... the labels for these are very cheap and  cleaning the head is a piece of cake...
I print around 40 labels a day so this has turned out to be great for me.. 🙂

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

I have a Brother QL-810W, used for address labels.  The Brother software is excellent which is vital if you want to automate labels rather than copy paste each label at a time

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply