What happens if I ignore the buyer's return request filed after 30 days

bonas-74
Community Member

So a buyer has opened a return request 34 days after date of delivery with reason being that the item is damaged. I sold them a second-hand laptop and their description of the problem indicates the battery has likely failed and now it only works plugged in. I mentioned in the listing that the battery is worn and doesn't hold as much charge as before. I don't want to accept their return request as the issue wasn't present when first delivered and only developed after a month of use. What would my best option be here? Can I simply ignore the buyer's request given the buyer isn't covered by MBG? There's a line that says "Please take action by 27 July" What happens on 27 July? Also, how would it work if the buyer decides to open a PayPal dispute? As a manged payments seller, does Adyen fight the case on behalf of me?

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

@bonas-74 wrote:

Sorry I made a mistake, the reason the buyer selected was 'Doesn't work or defective'. I do have the option to decline the return though, surely that means the buyer isn't covered. The date the buyer opened the return request is 31 days after the estimated delivery date an ebay rep gave me. Also in your guys experiences, how common are paypal disputes or CC chargebacks in situations like this?

That's exactly what it means - you only get that option in INAD requests if the buyer is outside the eligibility window.

So just to clarify - definitely do not ignore that case either way. Your choice now is to either decline or accept the request.

When this happened to me, I declined the request, but then contacted the buyer for more information to see if I thought their request was valid without the whole eBay MBG stuff over my head (note: I run a registered business, so I have obligations regardless of eBay's MBG, and I ultimately decided to send the buyer a replacement, if you are a private, casual seller, you do not technically have the obligation to take it any further after your decision. If the buyer goes to PayPal or their card provider, you are unlikely to have this option - I've never had a buyer do that after a resolution that wasn't in their favour, personally, but it can [and does] happen sometimes). 

Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

That would help.

Even better use 'in the UK' as a prefix.

Thanks.

I just knew these boards would be welcoming. Homos, heteros, don't knows - all welcome! ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

bonas-74
Community Member

I am now leaning towards accepting the buyer's return request because I'm scared by the possibility that they will open a CC chargeback (they would have evidence of a refund declined) and they will get to keep both the item and the money. However, I do have the ability to offer partial refunds upon return (the seller protection for Above Standard or Top Rated sellers), would it be a good idea to refund, say 90% of the item value, given the length of time the buyer used the item before the issue arose? 

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

You could advise the buyer that they could purchase a replacement battery on eBay relatively cheap, and mention that you did state the battery didnโ€™t hold much charge.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

Just looking at the sale, it doesnt actually say that the battery is worn,  and based on the figures you do provide, I would not expect that the battery would completely fail after only 30 days.  You should offer a 100% refund for INAD.  IMO

Message 25 of 25
Latest reply