What to do with letters marked Return To Sender?

Hello 🙂 I sent out an Ebay item last week by large letter and today it came back to me marked RTS.

Do you think I should contact the buyer? Or wait for the buyer to contact me? If I do contact the buyer, what kind of message should I send?

Do I offer a refund? The entire amount or the amount minus postage? Or do I offer to resend it and ask politely if they could send a little extra for shipping? Or send it again for free?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

In my cases the PO said definitely NO !  They have delivered, or attempted delivery once, so they have met their obligation and I had to pay again - I should add, my PO staff are adorable and generally extremely helpful Smiley Surprised

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

I suspect AP wouldn't make another attempt with my letter, either - the name / adress on the front has a black X through it, with RTS marked on the back, so they'd probably query why I'd want to attempt delivery to the same address, when appearances indicate it was refused. (Still none the wiser about exactly why it was returned, though). 

Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

Some buyers forever remain mysterious :0 I guess it would be a bit difficult to justify delivering to the same address...
Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Some buyers need to get a clue.

If wanting delivery to their work address they must put a C/- xyz as part of the address otherwise AP may not deliver.  Sometimes there are more than one business at that address or on that floor and as a seller I don't know where that person works (my crystal ball is all foggy on these issues).

I just shake my head. Smiley Frustrated

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

I wrote the company name and ATTN: xyz this time so hoping it goes through 🙂

Incorrect addresses is such a pet peeve of mine. If everyone could be responsible and write their address correctly in a recognisable Auspost format...that is my dream xD
Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

I had one residence, two addresses.

one recognised at council level, the other recognised at State/Federal level.

exactly the same house...as some services recognised the one street but not the other, I had mail delivered to both. The posties knew of this ridiculous situation and were great at delivering the mail. If the regular posties were on holiday, sometimes mail would be returned. Both addresses were therefore accurate, but either might not be acceptable to use, depending on whether it was considered correct by the sender/online address database.

An unusual thing, I know, but just throwing it into the mix 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Oh my, what a mess! How difficult that would be 😞 Hopefully such a situation isn't too common!
Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, it meant training new posties 🙂

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 18 of 18
Latest reply