What would you do?

A couple of years ago I had a rival (who had sent messages and made contact to our website with snide comments) buy an item. When I realised who it was I cancelled the sale as in the order record there was an a message from eBay saying 'there is a problem with this address'. This rival attempted to leave negative feedback but because the feedback was abusive it was removed by eBay.

Fast forward to today and I see a sale from the same surname for an item that the rival sells on eBay, perhaps in his daughter's name. I now wonder what I should do about this if anything? Do I send the item and see what happens, or contact eBay with a heads up at least?  When this happened years ago I blocked the rival on all the accounts they have. Would it be classed as opening another account to get around eBay's policies? I can't check their feedback given as they have this private, as with their other buying accounts. 

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

What would you do?

If you have any doubts, cancel.

I wouldn’t complicate things by lodging a complaint; it’s unlikely that a link could be established by eBay between the two accounts, as they don’t exactly send Poirot in to get to the bottom of these things.

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

I am just a bit wary of the repercussions. If I knew they were only interested in the item and not trashing my feedback or trying to steal from me then it would be all good. However, I know this person has had a real issue/gripe with us previously which I always felt may come back at some point when they think we have forgotten. 

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

Trust your 'spidey senses' and cancel.

Then block.

But if they've paid, you just may get a neg.

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

From what you have said, it most certainly sounds like this person is either using a family member's account themselves, or gotten the family member to buy from you for the sole purpose of being up to no good 

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

The thing is, this surname is not a common surname. When they originally bought a couple of years ago, the 'buyer' was let's say a 'Jim Djokovic' (fictitious name)  when I know the rival is Brian Djokovic (my business partner did some business with an old client of his). Then today a 'Brittany Djokovic' bought from me. As I say, all their accounts have private feedback, which although not unusual is just another red flag for me. 

I think they likely think we have forgotten but I took screen shots of their original purchase a couple of years ago and they don't know that we know who they are from the associate. 

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

I have just gone back and found the screenshot I took of the sale from a couple of years ago. Wouldn't you believe it but that sale (which I suspect is my rival buyer just using a different name) has the same phone number as the new sale today for the buyers delivery address details. 

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

Cancel the sale as problem with buyer's address & block the ID.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

@oddsandendsoz wrote:

I have just gone back and found the screenshot I took of the sale from a couple of years ago. Wouldn't you believe it but that sale (which I suspect is my rival buyer just using a different name) has the same phone number as the new sale today for the buyers delivery address details. 

With that information, I would report the buyer in addition to cancelling the sale and blocking.

It seems that your concerns about a dish served cold were correct.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

What would you do?

I am just wondering the best way of proceeding with this though? 

Do I just;

1) cancel the sale and use 'issue with buyers address' as suggested

2) send a message with something along the lines of; 'We have noticed an issue with the contact details which match an account we have previously blocked. It is against eBay policy to open a new account and use that to circumvent blocks. Therefore we have no other choice but to cancel this purchase'. 

3) inform eBay

4) send the item and if there are issues then contact eBay? 

My preference is cancel the sale but last time we did that that buyer (our rival) left negative feedback and accused us of fraud. Any input welcome as it will go in to the percolating pot LOL. 

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply