Whats this about? eBay falsely advertising my item as "4 X (item)"??

A customer recently purchased an item from me (two packs of 100 soft card sleeves) and then followed the purchase with a question asking whether they had purchased 200 sleeves total (which they had) or 800 in total!

Confused I clarified that they had indeed only purchased 200 sleeves. They then hit me with this link, which clearly (and falsely) misleads the buyer into believing they are purchasing alotments of 4x of my items instead of the 1x that they should be. The link follows:

https://www.ebay.com.au/p/4-X-100-Ct-Ultra-Pro-Trading-Card-Protector-Soft-Sleeves-Penny-Pokemon-MTG...

This page confuses the heck out of me as I've never seen eBay look like this before, and the title is blatantly false as I've NEVER had this item with "4 X" in the start of the title ever, the title shown in the link doesn't even reflect the actual title of this actual item of mine. It is quite clearly a multi-variation listing where the buyer can select the number of sleeves they want, from 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. But in this link it seems to change for some reason? Help?

Why is the title literally wrong and misleading my customers in this weird format? Is this some kind of mistake? What's going on :S

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Yeah that's completely wrong.

Call eBay and don't let them fob you off.

Make them change it.

image host
Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I can't find the words to explain it properly but I've seen that sort of page before and it's been discussed in the forums before. I'm pretty sure it's how things will look for certain categories when people search, especially when their new whizbang system starts when you might search for something and only be shown the top four items out of all the ones listed.

You have to click on the details to see the actual listing so it seems that ebay will play with the title and whatever else they want to, simply because it's not your actual listing. I'd say the 4x in the title is because you've got 4 available, not because your price is for 4 lots, so I can see how people could easily be misled.
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I've seen this and been irritated by it as a buyer.

It's confusing, misleading, and in the worst sense uninformative.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

They've probably re-written the title based on what other sellers have written for listings with the same UPC and other numbers.
Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

It means extra steps too because if you don't want to buy the one they insist on showing you, you've wasted your time looking at it and have to find the link to click on to see the others. This one shows above the others because it's the best price so ebay really is in a race to the bottom. I pity anyone selling (trying to sell!) in categories where this sort of rubbish happens!

If you find your way to ebay via google you often see this sort of thing and I get really irritated and having to click on the link to see the description.  Having it like this encourages people to buy without reading the description first. 

This sort of thing is why they're insisting everyone in certain electrical categories use the catalogue and have their UPC numbers in.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply