When do you open an Unpaid Item Dispute?

I generally allow 4-5 days for a buyer to make their payment then automatically open an Unpaid Item Dispute (unless the buyer messages me personally, then I will happily wait as long as they need). I open from 5-10 UIDs every week and it does get quite annoying. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a meanie because I don't give them a reminder but I do know that eBay does.

Do other sellers do this too? Do you send a message to your buyers first?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

I send an invoice on day 3 asking them to confirm their payment method as I have been unable to trace it and I will have to open an unpaid item dispute on day 4 if they do not get in contact asap.

I then open the dispute at the end of day 4 if I haven't heard from them.

It is extremely rare for them not to pay before I can close the dispute.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@maconii wrote:

I generally allow 4-5 days for a buyer to make their payment then automatically open an Unpaid Item Dispute (unless the buyer messages me personally, then I will happily wait as long as they need). I open from 5-10 UIDs every week and it does get quite annoying. Sometimes I feel like a bit of a meanie because I don't give them a reminder but I do know that eBay does.

I give 5 days in my listings - that I am slowly changing to 4 days in them all.   I send a reminder invoice on end of day four or start of day five.

If it is an item of a higher value say over $100 or a pick up item I am more likely to send them a message, and on occassion I have text messaged or rung buyers too. 

Gosh thats a lot of unpaid items on a weekly basis - IMO non-payers are truly pests and if I could at the time I close an unpaid dispute I would send a Harry Potter howler to berate them for their thoughtlessness and rule breaking. 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

@maconii wrote:

Sometimes I feel like a bit of a meanie because I don't give them a reminder but I do know that eBay does.

For casual sales I allow 5 days, for my store I allow 7 days. I've switched off eBay reminders, and will send my own message to the buyer on day 4 or 5, or on day 5-7 depending on the original time frame. 

I prefer my own message to eBay's (I have it saved to a text file, and it's just a quick C&P), as it's more focussed on getting a response from the buyer than payment itself. 

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

eBay does recommend contacting the bidder/buyer before opening a dispute. For big sellers who have alot of UPIs per week, maybe do what digital*ghost does as far as having a message on file.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Thank you for all your replys! I'm going to try messaging my buyers first. Perhaps this is a better approach since I see all of you do do it. It's just so annoying having to go through UIDs every week. Then again, maybe they have geniune reasons too.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

I once purchased a toy for my son which I paid immediately for via their requested bank account details. After four days they sent an 'unpaid item dispute'. Firstly, I was annoyed that they did not email me first as a seller myself I always give my buyers the common courtesy a chance to respond with a reason. 

I emailed them to say I had paid them and they gave me the excuse that I used the item number and not my ebay id therefore they could not find my payment. Surely the bank account name and name on ebay should match. Day 7, they did not apologise, just tried to give me a paypal refund which I did not pay through in the first place. My son was really upset that he did not receive his item. As far as I was concerned I did the right thing and they made themselves accountable for nothing. I had no item and no money. I was really annoyed and left negative feedback. They then would not send the item until I removed it. Wrong wrong wrong!

When you read the words "dispute" sounds really confronting, does it not? I get better results and more paying customers than non paying customers by sending an email first. 

Therefore, I definitely would send them an email first, as ebay's dogmatic corporate approach to not emailing first is unfavourable to a small business whom relies on making their buyers happy and having positive feedback. 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

I get where you are coming from magnifique boutique re having made a payment by bank transfer prior to an unpaid dispute being open. 

I have to say though virtually all of my buyers who have made payment by bank deposit have messaged me to advise me that they have paid by bank transfer and the date they did.   I am always appreciative of this simple buyer courtesy.  

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

This exposes a big problem.

Purchasing or bidding on Ebay is not compulsory.

If you buy or bid on an item you are accepting an offer. It should be very rare that you can not complete a transaction. If you want to negotiate a price or details you do that before signing up.

If you are short of money do not buy an item.

If you are waiting on money to arrive then talk to the seller.

If you are drinking you should be responsible for your actions.

So many people are having problems that it seems to me that the system needs fixing.

Sellers are kept in line by fear of negative feedback and the sanctions that go with it.

Why should buyers not receive the same treatment?

Get three or four negatives and sellers would see the red in your feedback and can be warned.

If I see a person that has caused problems for me or my friends I add them to my blocked bidders list to save my time.

But in a sea of green you can not find others.

So to get to the point of the post.

I would suggest setting your automatic settings to the minimum all round. That will reduce the time taken.

When people do not pay or contact me soon after an auction finishes it usually leads to problems.

So I send an invoice to check that details are correct and word it in  a friendly manner.  If Ebay then send the not so friendly one then the buyer should get the hint.

95% of buyers are genuine and want the article as soon as possible.

Do not let the time wasters ruin it for the others and use the automatic settings to free your time up for the good ones.

And hopefully Ebay will eliminate the shonky buyers so we can all get on with buying and selling.

Use your time for productivity.

Non paying bidders are not as productive as the 95 % of good honest people.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

So answer me this promptness ebayer. What if a buyer justifiably pays you immediately? You did say you accept bank deposit and apply details upon the purchase. So how is your message relevant to what my experience was. Please explain more succinctly. 

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply