Which delivery carrier do you use to offer free postage?

Hi all, I always have this question in my mind, how can someone sell things as $0.99 and still covers the postage?

If I'm going to sell moible phone cases in Australia and offers the free postage, which carrier should I be using? Seems like the cheapest sachel postage is around $8(excluding signage on arrival). That's just too expensive for me to cover.

Any idea?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ok These are Australia Post guidelines and prices for their letters. It does not include packaging.

note that these prices do not give you any tracking or seller protection with PayPal, you will have to purchase FRegistered Postage for that. These are standard letter rates, ok?

small letter: max 130mm x 240mm x 5 mm = 60c (weight says up to 250g but 125g for local country)

small plus:(C5)  max 162 x 240 x 5 mm  - max weight 125g = $1.20

mediem letter (B5) max 180 x 260 x 20mm - max weight 250g = $1.80

Note that the maximum is 20mm thick this includes the packaging that you use to send the item in.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Consider sending your cases as a large letter rather than as a parcel.

Letter rates vary between 60c and $3 depending on the size and weight.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Looking at my handy dandy postage calculator, and guessing at the size and weight of the phone cases, I believe that you can send your items for $1.80 each plus packaging.

If you are sending items measuring under 5mm thick and 125g as a letter you may be able to get the cost down as low as 60c to $1.20

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

Looking at my handy dandy postage calculator, and guessing at the size and weight of the phone cases, I believe that you can send your items for $1.80 each plus packaging.

If you are sending items measuring under 5mm thick and 125g as a letter you may be able to get the cost down as low as 60c to $1.20

Thank you Crikey*mate! When you say $1.8 each plus packaging, are you using Australia post and sending it as normal letter? I'm afraid it won't be able to be inserted into normal letter box. The case has a package and it measures as 10cm x 16cm x 2cm and it's under 125g.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

ok These are Australia Post guidelines and prices for their letters. It does not include packaging.

note that these prices do not give you any tracking or seller protection with PayPal, you will have to purchase FRegistered Postage for that. These are standard letter rates, ok?

small letter: max 130mm x 240mm x 5 mm = 60c (weight says up to 250g but 125g for local country)

small plus:(C5)  max 162 x 240 x 5 mm  - max weight 125g = $1.20

mediem letter (B5) max 180 x 260 x 20mm - max weight 250g = $1.80

Note that the maximum is 20mm thick this includes the packaging that you use to send the item in.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Small letters also have to be flexible. If the content of a letter is rigid, it needs to go as a large letter - min $1.20 for up to 125gm, maximum $3.00 for 250-500gm.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I couldn't find the small plus except for bulk mail services (page 7 in link)

Page 5 shows the small letter rate as 60c. Anything over 5mm falls into the large letter rates of $1.20, $1.80 or $3

http://auspost.com.au/media/documents/post-charges-ms11-7oct2013.pdf

I use the prepaid envelopes because I've found them to be quite strong but I think your only option is to send the covers at parcel rate if the packaging they come in is 2cm - either $6.95 in your own packaging over the counter or through Click and Send ... or $7.15 + cost of satchel through C&S.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Oh, and in answer to your question, I'd say most of us use Australia Post as apart from a courier there really isn't any other choice.

In saying that, I think that some of my customers think I use Superman, or that I have recently been bitten by a radioactive spider.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

sheesh - I'm being helpful today

*proud lookin*

OP, if you go to your post office, you can get a Letter Gauge - they're free. They have all the sizes on them and holes to see if your letter fits through the various sizes etc.

Also looks good framed and hung on the wall in the pool room.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

@calvin78916 wrote:

Hi all, I always have this question in my mind, how can someone sell things as $0.99 and still covers the postage?

If I'm going to sell moible phone cases in Australia and offers the free postage, which carrier should I be using? Seems like the cheapest sachel postage is around $8(excluding signage on arrival). That's just too expensive for me to cover.

Any idea?

i suspect, if they're in-country, they aren't posting with any original (or any, probably) packaging.

OR they're being sent from China or HK, in which case the postage is probably a few cents.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply