Why Oh why do people offer outrages offers?

why is it ppl make outrages offers and then if u make an offer just as bad back they get upset??

ie item price $27.59 offer price $2.00 and if u counter with something like $27.50 they get upset?

I know I know why offer in first place? many reasons including to "get rid of" older stck or items that have become over priced due to time or just because ppl buy numerous items its easy to then discount ect ect ect.

Just a grip I guess lol

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

davewil1964 sometimes I guess its an easier way to work out a discount on a multiple sale. on one item that is worth $4 I would be VERY uninclined to accept a discount however if they are buying numerous $4 items and I can post together they pay together ect I dont mind passing on some of the savings guess its a way to look at a sale and repeat buyer incentive

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

Well in response to daredevil1964, I have everything with best offer, even $4 items. I have been selling more, have auto-decline in place. Most of my sales are best offer, some quick to pay, others slow. Selling more now.

The reason for the change was I found some clothing sellers offered everything best offer. They were selling. At the end of the day the buyer wants to know if they can get it at the right price. The problem with eBay is some products are competitive to sell when other sellers have same or similar. Best offer might not be an option for these products.

When you have items others are not selling, say clothing. They don't have the style or the same size you are selling. You can afford to put the minimum price and maximum price in your best offer. It works for me, obviously not everyone. I have reduced my postage price to attract more buyers, 

i have noticed that buyers want to get the best price (including postage) and get their item within the estimate time, earlier the better.

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

I stopped using the best offers feature for this very reason. Infuriating!! AND buyers would by-pass the offers feature and direct-message me to make these stupid offers. Now I only use fixed price BIN on all my items - but I still get people messaging me with offers! Though only on my higher priced items and at least now the offers are usually reasonable (with a few exceptions). I have negotiated quite a few sales this way.

Btw, I have also responded to stupidly low offers in the same way you have (offering an equally ridiculous counter offer). It doesn't acheive much but it is quite satisfying! hehe

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

In response to the_huntress, you are on high end of goods and I am on low end. You have great things for sale, but it can be disappointing when someone puts an offer too low and its sounds insulting. That's what buyers do, offer cheap, but will they pay if they win.

i found by setting my minimum price of what I would accept, it appears to work. You may have to wait for people to pay. I have found that I have more sales than having a BIN price.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

always interesting to hear how others handle the ridiculous b/offers.

and yep sometimes I don't put in a lowest accepted cost being time poor....and it comes back to bite me.

the most irritating would be.....a low ball for one mag, and in the comments, and also including the needlework mags, the baby patterns etc....  I realise theres a character limit in comments but why would I waste my time finding those items, checking the sale price and my profit margin combining postage costs to sell at a loss .....  I replied if you want to make an offer, make offers on each item separately.  happy to combine postage costs or even advise postage quote prior to purchase.

funny thing is while they're diddling around trying to grab a bargain, someone goes and buys it outright!!

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

So true what you say about Gumtree "offers".

My favourites are the ones that are simply "Tell me your lowest price".  I've had some choice comments from them with my standard response of "My lowest price is the price listed on the ad unless you offer another figure I'm prepared to accept". 

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply