Why am I seeing hardly any views on my items?

Previously, by the time my items were ending, I had quite a lot of views, even if items did not sell. Now I am only getting a handful.  I can only assume it's because there are now such big gallery pics that no-one bothers to open the listing. I used to go into people's listings much more than I used to, but now I don't as I can often see from the photo that it isn't what I want. Is anyone else noticing this, or is it only me?

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

You have a good theory there 🙂

With the improved pics on the search results, I rarely go through to a listing unless I am seriously interested.

It saves time, so I like it, and it means that I usually buy what I look at now.

Are you seeing a bigger percentage of views converted to bids and sales? If you are, then prospective buyers will be doing the same as us.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Best way to stop worrying about viewers and watchers is to customise you page so they are not displayed.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

I made the same comment two weeks ago.

sales have been slow since Xmas and noticed a big drop in views per listing. I averaged 150 views per listing over a 5 day period now views are lucky to get double numbers but my sales have picked up heaps over the past week. so maybe larger photos have played a part in less views.  

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

I personally think it has a lot to do with the pecking order of which page of your category you're on.  

I have noticed that when I relist items, if I get very few views, I just know I am on page 85 or wherever.  When I get heaps of views - definitely within the first 20 pages. I may relist a heap of items at one time, but they are all over the shop - page 1 or wherever.

As I sell Australian Pottery, the 'Best Match' theory is not relevant in my category.  If I want to find, for eg, Swagman Pottery, I can just type that in on the search at the top of the page, and they're there, and including items from International sellers.  What have I got - Best Match...!!!

But I believe that eBay's excitement over providing prospective buyers with their 'best match' ideology has cost sellers their respective places in the queue.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

I am both a buyer and seller, predominantly a buyer now.

I find the default best match search to be next to useless, and always change it to newly listed or lowest price.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

As do most sensible buyers.

Anecdotally, at least. Which is why I am bemused by the fixation with 'best' match. Or views. Or watchers.

I am quite happy to sell to buyers. A lot of whom don't seem to feel the need to watch, although they presumably view. One per listing seems to be about right, imo.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Which is why I am bemused by the fixation with 'best' match. Or views. Or watchers.

I tend to disagree with your comment Dave.  I feel that views or watchers are relevant to a seller.  (Forget 'Best Match' - it is the biggest load of crock eBay has come up with.)  

As said in my post above, if my listing is on page 85 or wherever of MY category, and I have only the 1 view (eBay), I don't have a hope in hell of selling that particular item in the listing time period.  However, if I have 8,10 or however many views, I at least know my item IS BEING SEEN by prospective purchasers, and could (with luck) translate into a sale.  

I'm sure all online businesses have a method of counting 'hits' on their site, which give an indication of how successful their web design has been.

On a smaller scale it is the same with sellers - we like to know how many 'hits' we've had.  

Whether it is an online business or an eBay seller, it is all advertising, and being able to see that your product is being considered for purchase is relevant, not a fixation.

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Page 85 using which criterion?

I use P+P - Lowest first. A lot use ending soonest. Neither of which would keep your item on page 85, probably.

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

I used page 85 just as a page to pick.  I could have said 35 or 43.  It doesn't really matter.

The point being that if sellers listings are in the last pages of their category, because of the way that eBay now puts them up, sellers are not necessarily going to get the views, ergo less sales.  If eBay reverted to 'ending soonest' as used to be, then ALL sellers would be on a far more level playing field than what is going on now.  I agree if buyers used 'ending soonest' my listing wouldn't keep on page 85. 

Irrespective, I think you are diverting this from what my reponse to you was about - your reference to 'fixation', and my response being 'relevance'.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply