Why are the Chinese eBay stores allowed to use photos that are not the item they actually sell?

I know China has different copyright laws to Australia, but why are the Chinese companies allowed to use a photo that is not of the product they are selling you?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Why are the Chinese eBay stores allowed to use photos that are not the item they actually sell?

i have no idea and would be interested to know what ebay's response is on this.  They can also list in any category they choose even though this violates ebay policy.

So many of their kitchen items always list in "tupperware" because it's a popular search term.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

They probably are not but with so many Chinese sellers perhaps many have given up reporting listings.

Try reporting a few very obvious ones and see what happens.

All members are bound to abide by the rules of the site they are on irrespective of their location.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Never mind ebay doing nothing, I have been surprised at the blatant way the Chinese sellers steal photos off designer websites & have half expected those companies to kick up.

You have a look at a few wedding dress websites eg Stella York, Essense, Allure and you will notice that quite a few Chinese sellers on ebay have the exact same photos in their ads, only instead of a gown being eg $2000, it is $100 or $19 or some other blatantly unlikely price.

You can read horror stories about people who buy from China and what they get is nothing like what is in the photos.

These sellers are pinching the photos directly from the designer websites and I've been a bit surprised the companies involved have not tried to prosecute as I am sure they would if anyone in Australia dared the same trick. Maybe it is just too hard to stop anyone in China.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply