Why do I have to wait 4 days to close unpaid item dispute?

I sold an item recently and after several messages asking the buyer to make contact, I have heard nothing.  so I opened an upaid item dispute and now I have to wait another 4 days before i can close it. The issue i have with that is that firstly, they have not bothered to advise when payment will be made and have not made contact whatsoever, which makes me think they are defnitely not paying.  I'm frustrated because even if I wanted to offer a second chance offer, chances are the other bidders are no longer interested or have won another auction, having lost out on mine.  So annoying!!!! When is ebay going to start supporting the sellers. If I chose to end a listing early because I change my mind, I have to pay fees, however if a buyer changes their mind, there are no systems in place to punish them.  They should be forced to pay fees also!

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Why do I have to wait 4 days to close unpaid item dispute?

rkwm888
Community Member

sellers have to wait 4 days once a UPI is opened just in case the buyer wants to pay and ebay make the rules so we have to follow those rules

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I'm obviously aware that ebay makes the rules and I am obviously following them, but doesn't excuse the fact that is in unfair.  As a buyer, if a seller contacts you after 4 days of not paying to ask when you will pay and they don't respond, I don't think it's fair that we then have to wait another 4 days.  That's over 1 week and then I have to relist all over again.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

we know its not fair to wait another 4 days but just something every seller has to do
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

IMO the nonpayment timeframe provided by ebay for non-paying pests is nearly as ridiculous as the defective defect system.

A seller should be able to open and close a dispute within the 4 day ebay payment standard - a buyer should NOT then get a total of 8 days to pay unless a seller chooses those terms.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

a buyer should NOT then get a total of 8 days to pay unless a seller chooses those terms.

I would be inclined to agree if, as in the US where they can be opened after 2 days, bank deposit and moneyorder were not an option and the only payment methods allowed were electronic. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

a buyer should NOT then get a total of 8 days to pay unless a seller chooses those terms.

I would be inclined to agree if, as in the US where they can be opened after 2 days, bank deposit and moneyorder were not an option and the only payment methods allowed were electronic. 

Yet to have a bank transfer that I have not received well within 4 days. 

Or if a buyer choses to use bank transfer then payment can always be made by buyer on time over the counter at a branch, if they chose to bank and pay for goods via some obscure financial institution.

Leaving the four day additional payment time loophole on the basis of money orders doesn't really stack up as money orders within Australia are relatively expensive for buyers to use to purchase goods.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

I think it would be very easy to have a minimum payment timeframe (which could be made to be longer if the seller accepts bank deposits), and then a UPI can be processed immediately if payment isn't received within the seller's stated terms (basically, a checkbox that could be selected the same way handling time is, which would then determine the time-frames a seller can allow. If only electronic methods are accepted, the time frame could be 2 days, if manual payment methods, something more like 5 days, maybe 7 if they accept cheques / money orders).

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Sounds all good to me DG Cat Very Happy

Too straight forward and common sense for eBay to implement though Cat LOL

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

I agree with you. if someone bids then you hear no more from them in 4 days, they are probably unlikely to pay.

My bet is that ebay won't keep the present system forever or even for the next 2 years.

I would think they will eventually move to some system where buyers have to pay immediately on buy it now items or the sale won't be complete (as in daily deal site procedures).

Or they could well bring in a system whereby people only have 2 days to pay and an UID opened and shut within the 4 days.

You're right in one thing-8 days after the auction, most losing bidders will have forgotten the item or moved on, so you will probably have to start the process all over again.

But ebay feels to me as if it is trying to change, so the present rules won't last forever.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply