Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

I cannot understand why sellers who make handmade items, such as knitted/crocheted baby clothes and  blankets, set such a low price.  Sometimes the set price is so low, it can only cover the price of the materials.  It is frustrating for those of us who place a  value on the skill and time taken to create our handmade produce, and set prices accordingly.  If a seller does not want to make a profit (goodness know why!), and only view their craft as a 'hobby', they should donate their produce to charity, instead of selling on eBay.  It is not fair on sellers who want to make a decent income from their work.  

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

Good for you the ones who don't cheapen themselves by lowering the price of your work.
You know the value of what you do and are true artisans.
The reasons given as to why some people sell their work cheap are poor excuses.

Stick to your guns, when it comes to selling homemade, it's about selling to a select group of buyers.
And never compare yourself to someone else, it will do your head in ๐Ÿ™‚
Message 11 of 12
Latest reply

Re: Why do some sellers price their hand made items so low, they can't possibly make any profit?

I didn't buy for 2 reasons - 1/ I wasn't sure the Mum would get the money & be vindicated in selling her craft -   2/ The man was just so obnoxious I just wanted to get out of there fast! 

I had wandered down my street on foot & was the only "buyer" there & just didn't feel comfortable- especially given the words he used instead of "stuff"! 

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply