Why do we do this to ourselves?

So, I accept a lower offer on a cheap item. I post it to Argentina from Australia, a notoriously slow route. After 3½ weeks, he requests a refund as the item hasn't arrived, and in line with my policy, I issued an immediate refund in full.

The buyer, rather than appreciating the service, leaves a negative feedback for non-delivery.

I'm still deciding if I'll add all of South America or just Argentina to my black list..................

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Why do we do this to ourselves?

Does this buyer even realise that postage is from Australia?

Well, there was nothing else you could have done. At least your feedback has stated that you posted the item and issued a refund, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from you based on your feedback (and the honest reply to the one previous neg). How a seller responds to negative feedback or iffy situations says a great deal about that seller.

If you've had other problems with South American buyers, that would play into your decision about whether or not to sell to the entirety of South America.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I initiated a feedback revision request, and he has now changed the feedback from a negative to a positive. I'll give him credit for that.

I wonder if I'll hear from him when the item does arrive? Doubtful.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

He has changed to red dot to a green dot but I am guessing he did not change to comment.....he is still saying it did not arrive.

I suspect he did receive the item and is feeling a bit guilty about the red dot, but is not honest enough to repay you.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@global_philately wrote:

So, I accept a lower offer on a cheap item. I post it to Argentina from Australia, a notoriously slow route. After 3½ weeks, he requests a refund as the item hasn't arrived, and in line with my policy, I issued an immediate refund in full.

The buyer, rather than appreciating the service, leaves a negative feedback for non-delivery.

I'm still deciding if I'll add all of South America or just Argentina to my black list..................

I solved that problem by creating a separate postage policy and only offering tracked shipping that I charge for.

Reliable places such as USA, UK, EU, NZ etc I ship untracked because it's cheaper.

Russia is entirely blocked because ebay have a bug where Russia is lumped in with Europe, even though there is also a separate option for Russia, and so Russians have the option of choosing the EU option which they are not reliable enough for.

The whole world (except Russia) has a tracked shipping option, occasionally someone from somewhere like USA will pick and pay for tracked shipping which is good. More importantly though, South America only has the tracked shipping option.

Just this week I had a customer from Ecuador  open an item not received case and when I sent an enquiry to my courier company this is the response I got:

Good Afternoon , 

The shipment is currently held by customs as of 26/06/2019.
Usually when shipments are held by customs, it means that there are duties and taxes that need to be paid for the shipment to be released. Each country has different regulations and processes for import taxes and duties.

As DHL eCommerce is partnered with the local postal services in each country, in order for your customer to receive their item as quickly as possible, please have them reach out to Customs, Quote their tracking ID: ***RX--------DE*** and arrange for duties and taxes to be paid.

Once payment has been process the item will be released into the postal network and be shipped out for delivery

With Regards,

DHL eCommerce Customer Service

I added that message to the case and the problem was sorted. In my own research, I discovoured that Ecuadrians are supposed to pre-register their international shipment with customs for a few dollars.

On a side note, I must thank Digital Ghost for putting me onto DHL eCommerce, and I highly reccomend anyone doing international shipments join their service. The drawbacks are:

• there is a $10 surcharge for pickups (per pickup, not per package), so you will probably only be shipping international orders once or twice a week. Unless you happen to live close enough to their depot that you can drop it off for free.
  • You are required to actually be present for the collection so that you can verbally confirm that there is nothing in the shipment that can't fly. *Hint* make friends with your courier driver.
  • DHL is actually the German version of Australia Post, so they usually just hand your packages off to the local postal service in the destination country.

The advantages:

• Usually cheaper if you can send multiple orders at once.
  • They pickup your orders
  • even "untracked" orders will show the item was picked up and has left Australia, so you are covered for Paypal seller protection
  • They have a tracked option that is usually much cheaper. That Ecuadorian customer paid about $13 shipping. AP wanted $36!

I offer free shipping in Australia, so there is a bit of postage built into my prices, I use that to cover the pickup charge.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I look at this way: if the items will sell in Australia (or 'safe' countries), why risk selling them to 'unsafe' countries? The only times you want to make items available to riskier countries is if they're not likely to sell to the safer countries.
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Hi, are you sure DHL eCommerce required $10 for pickup? From what I know they required $20 value of shipments, thus if you have at least 2 with trackable shipments, you usually good, no pickup charges. Let me know if those $10 charges appear in your statement, I can then look up mine.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@djavusydney wrote:

Hi, are you sure DHL eCommerce required $10 for pickup? From what I know they required $20 value of shipments, thus if you have at least 2 with trackable shipments, you usually good, no pickup charges. Let me know if those $10 charges appear in your statement, I can then look up mine.

The information on the website for the service (GM Packet) says if you reach at least $20 in products, there is no charge for pick-up, however my contract stated $10 per pick-up, regardless of the combined postage value. The first few invoices I received didn't include the fee, so at first I thought they weren't charging it (some other aspects of their contract were worded a bit funny, so I just shrugged it off).

Then I get the end of the month invoice and they had included the $10 fee for every pick up, plus GST (so, it's actually $11 per pick-up, as the $10 quote doesn'ty include GST). I've been using them nearly a year and I've been charged for every single pick-up, they invoice once per week, and then send a final invoice at the end of the month which includes the pick-up charges. I queried it with them when I got the first invoice because of what the website said (and I wasn't happy that they basically billed for it retroactively, at least from my perspective), and I asked what crietria I would need to meet to have the website conditions applied (no fee for $20+), and while I did get a reply to my email, they didn't answer those questions. I suspect it may be because I am considered a micro-shipper, as I only send 30-40 parcels internationally per week right now. 

Several times I've had a DHL parcel delivery on the same day I've organised a pick-up, so we bascially exchange parcels at my door, and I (perhaps obviously, but still mildly gratingly) still get charged the pick-up fee (I'd never complain about it, I just find it a little bemusing). 

The seller who encouraged me to use DHL said they don't pay it, but they also live close enough to a drop-off point that they usually do that anyway. I do know that contract terms are different for everyone - I was given lower parcel rates than them, as well. 

@purplemon18 - it's interesting you're required to be present for pick-up - I asked a couple of questions of the driver on the first pick-up, and they told me I can just leave it on the porch and don't need to be there at all (which is good because they usually come after 3pm, and that's when I am generally at the post office). 

One of the biggest drawbacks with them is how long something takes if it's returned - I've had a few and it can take up to 3 months once it is back in their system. I currently have a customer waiting for follow-up on a package that was RTS back in May (sent to the UK, arrived in April, VAT applied, not paid after 30 days, so it was returned).

Also, one of the drivers hit and broke a steel post on the property when they were backing out - witnessed by a neighbour, I wasn't home at the time. It cost my landlord over $400 to fix. I contacted DHL about it, they asked me some questions in order to process an insurance claim, and then they went silent. None of them drive on to the property anymore, though. 

I do still recommend them, because the whole postage side is worthwhile, they're reliable for that, and cheaper. I don't think I've had one INR for an overseas package since I started using them (they are often a bit slower, so I do have to send a few 'just wait a little longer' messages, though that's slowed down since I was able to set an ETA of 4 weeks instead of the default 2 weeks Etsy had).  

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@djavusydney Yup, I'm billed the same way as Digi, they charge the pickup fees monthly, so there is a big bill once a month. Sorry, my bad it is $11. I hate when that happens I have $10 stuck in my head even though I know it is $11. If I had to guess, they decided the $20 minimum wasn't enough and you are "grandfathered in" to the old terms.

@digital*ghost
Spoiler
Ahem, yes, well... My packages are collected from my back verandah at, uhm, their convenience...

Recently, I happened to be talking to a driver and he asked me not to mention how my items get picked up to anyone from the office.

I hope no one for DHL reads these forums

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Did you send them the bill for the repair. I have found in the past courier companies to be quick to payout on damage they cause. 

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply