Why does AustPost now have Registered AND Sign on Delvery? SAME THING.

The only difference is Reg post is now only for letters and S&D is for parcels.... and Reg is more expensive!

I asked the lady at the PO why this was now happening and she could only offer embarrassed agreement that it makes no sense.

And lest we forget "AUSTRALIA POST PARCEL POST PARCEL" is an actual service!!!

Who sits around dreaming up these inane 'services'??

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Actually, it's not the same thing.

Registered post for letters provides up to $100 insurance.

Signature of delivery doesn't provide any insurance and you have to add it on for (I think) $1.50 per $100. 

Message 2 of 32
Latest reply

There are still plenty of Large parcels that are registered post.So it is not only for letters.

Message 3 of 32
Latest reply

cherry7113
Community Member

You still have to sign for both registered post and SOD

Message 4 of 32
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

For your basic $100 cover with signature, am pretty sure Registered Post fee is cheaper at $3.20 ($2.70 if box/50) versus $4 something for parcel

As for the "AUSTRALIA POST PARCEL POST PARCEL" - it makes perfect sense to me.

Parcel Post is the service. If it was express post it would say

AUSTRALIA POST EXPRESS POST PARCEL. Not sure why people are hung up on the name.

Message 5 of 32
Latest reply

at least with the way they have broken up the insurance and SOD for parcels, the postage cost can be cheaper if someone wants to forgo the insurance

although I am still at a loss as to why we have to pay more money to ensure that Australia Post provide the service for which they agree to provide when I pay the standard postage costs.

Apparently, the service offered if we pay for standard postage includes delivery of our item from point A to point B. If that is true then why the need for additional services other than speed of delivery?

Plus, I think I read here somewhere that C&S provides up to $100 coverage - not sure if I interpreted that correctly though, so maybe someone could clarify that one way or the other?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 6 of 32
Latest reply

Actually, it's not the same thing.

Registered post for letters provides up to $100 insurance.

Signature of delivery doesn't provide any insurance and you have to add it on for (I think) $1.50 per $100. 

The lady at the PO told me that registered post does NOT include insurance any more, and that it must be purchased in addition.

Message 7 of 32
Latest reply

There are still plenty of Large parcels that are registered post.So it is not only for letters.

Again, I've been told at the PO that registered post is now only for letters. I've never seen so much confusion over postal services than over the last month or two.

Message 8 of 32
Latest reply

chezzy
Community Member

Crikey, OK I went and found the C&S t&cs

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/terms-and-conditions-click-and-send.html

Select 1. Definitions, then scroll down to "Parcel Post"

Should the tracking with signature option be selected then compensation up to $100 will be reimbursed for any loss or damage to the article. The terms and conditions of the $100 compensation are those terms and conditions applying to the Extra Cover service

Message 9 of 32
Latest reply

The lady at the PO told me that registered post does NOT include insurance any more, and that it must be purchased in addition.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/registered-post.html

Sadly, your PO lady is misinformed. A sign of the times, really. 😕

@crikey, AFAIK, C&S with signature on delivery has up to $100 discretionary compensation available. Insurance is not an option on flat rate satchels, but because you're paying extra for a comparable service to registered. I guess the discretionary compo was thrown in to tempt some to pay for it.

Message 10 of 32
Latest reply