Why does ebay recommend offers in an auction listing? Seems to me that defeats the purpose of an au

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Why does ebay recommend offers in an auction listing? Seems to me that defeats the purpose of an au

Many items are started with a high starting price and don't get any bids.

So offers can expedite a sale.

Also many buyers don't want to wait a week or more for an auction to finish.

image host
Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

You may want to post on the US boards as you're on the Aussie boards).

Maybe just revise each listing and remove the best offer option?

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

I'm stumped with this also because I put in an offer for an item that started with an auction price of $10 or make an offer.

Ok so I made an offer of $10 which is the auction starting price and my offer was refused WT?

So I've found out that the best offer has to be what the seller wants for the item so what's the point of the auction?

Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

I'm stumped with this also because I put in an offer for an item that started with an auction price of $10 or make an offer.

Ok so I made an offer of $10 which is the auction starting price and my offer was refused WT?

So I've found out that the best offer has to be what the seller wants for the item so what's the point of the auction?

So it's actually a reserve price,(but you can't have a reserve price),Who knows.gif

The offer option also disappears once someone bids,(but will re-appear if the bid is retracted).

Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

And at least with a BIN or best offer you can see the sellers price and then make the offer.

But with this you can't see what the seller wants except the auction starting price and then when I made the offer it said the seller can accept,decline or counter offer,really this is just like a blind auction apart from seeing the initial auction starting price lol.

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

Haha wow I just looked at the item and now the best offer has been taken off from the listing.

So the seller declined my offer but still has the listing starting at $10 without a best offer,how has ebay even allowed this to happen lol.

You'd think that now that I have offered the starting price and had it declined the seller would have put the price up lol.

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

It just seems to get better lol,ebay have messaged me saying sorry your offer was declined and have recommended

similar items for me to look at buying and wow it is the same item I just got declined from hahahahaha idiots.

Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@collect247 wrote:

Haha wow I just looked at the item and now the best offer has been taken off from the listing.

So the seller declined my offer but still has the listing starting at $10 without a best offer,how has ebay even allowed this to happen lol.

You'd think that now that I have offered the starting price and had it declined the seller would have put the price up lol.

It's always possible that ebay added make an offer without the seller's permission or knowledge.

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

That's right and it's ebay that I blame and I'm hoping the seller at least puts the price up as the item is worth 10x what it's listed for.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply