Why is there no Australia Post 1kg parcel post satchel option when listing an item for sale?

There is a 500g. Then there is a 3kg option (huge jump! ) Then a 5kg.

Is there a reason for this particular postage not being an option when listing?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Message 1 of 21
Latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Why is there no Australia Post 1kg parcel post satchel option when listing an item for sale?

It's because they make more $$$ on 3kg satchels, greedy buggers. I wonder what the figures are in relation to parcels between 501gms-1kg being sent in 3kgs satchels ie how many of the parcels that are sent out in 3kgs but could be sent in 1kg satchels. I would use 1kg satchels but can't really afford to buy them in the bulk packets, like most private sellers. I only just discovered one of the POs I stopped at on my way home sells them individually so will use them when I can.

Message 11 of 21
Latest reply

A 1kg package would suit about 1/3 of my stock and I would dearly love to be able to print a label.

AP don't offer a 1kg courier satchel though, only the pre-paid 10 at a time packs so $100+ for each restock.

The size suits my products (books) but is pretty limited if more than bubblewrap packaging is needed.

Message 12 of 21
Latest reply

yeah - very true. it seems as though they are there for those who would conveniently use them - but only in ten packs.

they have both the regular post 1kg satchels and express post 1kg satchels in 10 packs on their website - 

https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/parcel-post-1kg-satchel-10-pack-61355m

https://shop.auspost.com.au/product/express-post-1kg-satchel-10-pack-xps1kgm

however, unlike all other satchels when you buy a 10 pack, with these two items you don't get any discount for buying 10. 

as another person in the thread said - some post offices have used their initiative to sell them individually, but most you'll find aren't that much cheaper than a 3kg satchel because of the fact no discount is applied to the 10 packs. 

i figured it would just make sense for ebay though to include options in the postage drop-down list for any Australia Post item/service which existed. 

Message 13 of 21
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment

i figured it would just make sense for ebay though to include options in the postage drop-down list for any Australia Post item/service which existed. 

eBay list only labels AP allow them to list.

I would imagine eBay have an agreement with AP similar to a heavilly discounted MyPost Business or eParcel structure.

Given the number of labels ebay would sell in a given period their discount would have to be 15% or greater (I suspect greater).

Current AP Parcel Rates

This discount rate card is just the bare minimum discount level and you'll notice the absence of a 1kg price.

The Send and Save rates are at top of page 1 but if you look at the bottom of that page you'll see even cheaper 500g rates.

So eBay charge $7.55 per 500g label while AP charge them $6.76 (or more likely less) generating a profit of $0.79 per label.

(nice work if you can get it)

AP do very heavy discounts for large volume businesses (I worked for one years ago).

That particular business actually had dedicated vans collecting daily and leaving full (they got great rates on very large parcels).

Even the Ombudsman thinks AP are overcharging but cannot do much about it:

Herald Article

We're being squeezed and are uncompetitive with both large businesses and even more so with O/S sellers (particularly China and UK).

Unfortunately we have no champions so we'll just have to continue to be bled dry and remain uncompetitive.

Message 14 of 21
Latest reply

@lm-entertainment wrote:

if you're talking about Aus Post - i've been using 1kg Express Post satchels since they first came out and continually have asked ebay to include it in the postage options - which they never have. i'm guessing they find it all too hard.. 

the ebay minions are far to busy fixing things that dont need fixing to fix things that do need fixing.

Message 15 of 21
Latest reply

c_mount
Community Member
$$$$$$$ mate. AP have to provide $$$$ to pay for new mosques....
Message 16 of 21
Latest reply

@c_mount wrote:
$$$$$$$ mate. AP have to provide $$$$ to pay for new mosques....

Why would Christine Holgate want to buy mosques?

Message 17 of 21
Latest reply

looks like someone forgot to update their knowledge after the past CEO left.. and were using that to religiously viliify AP. 

Message 18 of 21
Latest reply

Not sure if you know by now, but you can buy now individual 1 kg satchel from Aus Post.
Message 19 of 21
Latest reply

But there's still no 1kg pre-paid satchel option in eBay's postage methods.

Which, I believe, is what the discussion was about.

Message 20 of 21
Latest reply