Why would Australia Post charge seller to collect a returned parcel?

I'm a bit confused and annoyed. I ordered several clothes from a seller a few weeks ago, she posted them with tracking, I waited to receive them, ebay did not update the tracking info beyond the "posted" part, I received no cards, emails or texts from Australia Post to let me know the parcel was at my post office.

Almost all my parcels get delivered to my building, but occasionally they go to the post office. While checking other deliveries I was waiting for on the AusPost website, I entered the tracking number for this parcel, and saw that it had been sitting at the post office for 10 days. Grr. I also saw that it had the status of "Being returned to sender". AAAGH!

So I went there, they said it's not uncommon for people not to receive notification of their parcels, and it had been returned that morning. I asked how many days had it been and how many days I had to collect it, as I thought it was 2 weeks. She said she thought it was 2 weeks due to Covid, but mine had already been returned for some reason.

So...the parcel finally arrives back to the seller a week later, but it has a sticker on it saying there are charges owing on it for $15.35. That was also written on the card the seller got from her post office to go and collect the parcel.

She paid it, asked what it was about, the person said they didn't know, and AusPost also claimed they sent me a text the day before they sent it back. No, they did NOT.

So since I really want the clothes, I've paid 2 lots of $15 to have them re-posted and for this unknown charge. What is this?? I don't blame the seller at all. She's been very helpful.

Even if the original postage cost of $8.95 wasn't sufficient, an additional $15.35 seems odd. That equates to a total of $24.30. If the original postage should have been $15.35, then surely only the difference would be owing, of $6.40? (plus the new $15.35 to have it posted again).

I'm also unsure why they couldn't just send it right back to me as the original addressee? Even if that additional difference of $6.40 was payable.

Any insights? Thank you!
Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Why would Australia Post charge seller to collect a returned parcel?

they're paying for the watches 😞
Message 11 of 11
Latest reply