World war 2 Bomb camera raId photographs

I have some ORIGINAL raid photographs, bomb camera images, that were taken during air raids in World war 2. These are not prints but the pictures that were released to bomber pilots after the raid. The sort of images that you now see only in books. I believe that some of the pictures were take from a RAAF Stirling during a raid in which my Father won his DFM. A raid on Berlin, while he was flying for 199 squadron. I also have images from other raids in which I think he was flying the Halifax  ( I do not know with which squadron,still researching this one) during a raid on Turin. I also have images taken by my Dad that relate to the loss of the "SS Argentina" including images of the lifeboats that were released from that ship. I have many other images that include the transfer back to Australia of these pilots. Could anyone let me know if there is someone,or an organistaion out there who might be interested in these pictures. They are all in black and white as was the method of photographing during ww2.

Thank you

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: World war 2 Bomb camera raId photographs

Australian War Memorial in Canberra ?

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Or Legacy, the support organisation for veterans and their families.................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

5kazam
Community Member

Both of the above suggestions and also the RSL

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Legacy and the RSL are unlikely to be interested but the War Memorial might be, although they do have very large collections of the type of photographs that you have.

Have you tried looking up your father's  war records in the National Archives?

f

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

We go to our local RSL with all our war pics and queries. The club won't show much interest, but the proper RSL where the retired soldiers hang out will be.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

I haven't explained that very well. But I don't know how to explain it better, lol. If you can't find the small club where your local retired soldiers hang out, just ask in the main club.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Tay, the OP would have to contact the National Headquarters of the RSL, not a local sub branch.

I still think the War Memorial would be the way to go.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

This might help

A video on the BBC site details the massive scale of the operation. The RAF's wartime photo library—one of the world's largest single collections of aerial photography—is currently housed at the National Collection of Aerial Photography in Scotland, where's they're still used to help locate unexploded ordinance across Europe, as well as to monitor changing land use on the continent in the postwar period. Browsing is not extremely intuitive on the NCAP's website, unfortunately, and high-res viewing requires a paid subscription. But a selection of 10,000 images is viewable on the slightly better History Pin site.

http://www.americanphotomag.com/article/2013/07/massive-aerial-photography-archive-helped-win-world-...

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

You're probably right Lindal,  I've only ever asked them for any records regarding my Grandfather, who was local.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply