Would you refund the buyer who claims item was not received?

I've had this happen before and I am just dreading another conflict situation so I am tempted just to refund without question. Before I do, I just wanted to get some advice from other experienced sellers.

We use Australia Post Regular Post and have a flat rate of $6.60. Obviously, there is no tracking which, of course, creates problems occasionally. Like in this case - buyer purchased an item and is now claiming that it was not received/lost.

With the unfortunate feedback system which can often be used as a blackmailing/extortion tool by some (rare) buyers it is impossible to negotiate a mutually acceptable outcome. Anything less than a refund or replacement would result in a negative.

So do people just refund with no questions asked in these situations to avoid a ruined feedback?

p.s. I am considering eparcel but what concerns me is that I won't be able to absorb the extra postage costs considering that many of my items are cheap and light.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

you dont have to use eparcel, just use Click and Send with tracking, it is covered by Paypal's Seller protection AND it is  only $6.20 for the 500gr satchel (+ a few cents to buy the satchels on line from aust post).

of course, for a non-trackable missing item you do need to refund your buyer, but make sure they've checked their PO lots of parcels dont get carded and sit at the PO awaiting collection

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

I just have to add that the reason I am annoyed is that I've refunded about 4-5 items in the past few weeks to buyers who claimed damage in post, lost items etc. I am sure most of them made honest claims but there are some I am sure who would just abuse the system..

Don't know which way to go with postage..

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

I thought that Click and Send was only available with eparcel? Is that not right?

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

When I get an INR I ask for a Stat Dec so that I can claim the loss from Australia Post.  Whilst some may not consider this good business practice, you'd be amazed at how many items miraculously appear;\  When a buyer says there's a fault with their item, I ask them to return it and I'll replace it - I don't have many returns either.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

When I get an INR I ask for a Stat Dec so that I can claim the loss from Australia Post.

Is this the green form that AP provides?

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

500gr satchel (+ a few cents to buy the satchels on line from aust post).

satchels are of no use to me as my items are usually bulky but still light, they don't fit into satchels.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

I think click and send is available for boxes - ask at your post office.

TCT
Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

http://auspost.com.au/clickandsend/about-click-and-send/index.asp

Read up about click and send.

All you need to do is register your selling ID to it and buy some satchels http://stores.ebay.com.au/Australia-Post-Store?_trksid=p4340.l2563

then pay your postage on line by paypal or credit card then lodge over the counter to get your receipt as proof of postage and you then have paypal protection.

As it is lodged over the counter you can view on line when it was posted and delivered.

All you need is a printer to print the postage labels you put in the clear pouch on the satchels.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

tomato - the form is available online from the Attorney General's Department; the buyer can print one off, get a JP (usually the local chemist is one) to sign it, then send it to you:-)

Message 10 of 37
Latest reply