Wrong Buyer Address

I sold an item on ebay and shipped it next day to address advised to me on the sales description provided by ebay. Buyer contacts me a couple of days later explaining I've sent item to incorrect address. Out of good will I sent a second item, at my expense, to the revised address that the buyer advised via ebay message. A few days later the Buyer then leaves me negative feedback and opens a dispute. ebay subsequently held back payment before refunding the buyer. I'm left out of pocket for two items sent and with unjust negative feedback. How is this even legal? Isn't this clear fraud on behalf of both the buyer and ebay?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Wrong Buyer Address

Itโ€™s too late now, but I would say never send a replacement item when the buyer had given an incorrect address in the first place. Orโ€ฆ if you are going to do so, always send via tracked method so that delivery status shows under the tracking number.

Did you send the original item via untracked method? If so, you will never win an INR dispute because you canโ€™t prove delivery.

Bottom line: if your items are primarily sent via untracked letter for instance, and a buyer claims item not delivered, you must refund the buyer in full. If you charge a little more (a few cents, for instance), you can add those few extra cents to your own โ€œself-insuranceโ€, and from this pot you should be able to cover the refunds for whatever small number of no -delivery claims you might have. Orโ€ฆ send tracked and charge p&p accordingly.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Wrong Buyer Address

go to HELP at top of page and conduct a "live chat" with eBay CS.....

you took a chance sending the 2nd one....,.see if eBay can look at messaging between you

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Wrong Buyer Address

....and now that your feedback is 'private', you will not be able to sell....

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Wrong Buyer Address

Why did you send a second item? Clearly the buyer was trying to scam you. It's not your fault the buyer allegedly gave you the wrong address. That's their problem, not yours. As a seller, you ONLY send the address provided to you buy ebay. If it's wrong, tough luck for the buyer.

Sadly, you stuffed up and there is very little you can do about it. The buyer now has 2 items and a refund. Win win for them. Learn from it and don't make the same mistake. I just hope it wasn't an expensive item.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply