anybody had a problem with fake bidders

I have being trying to sell my car on ebay for last month. I was forced to list it twice and both times the winning bidder did not contact me. I cannot leave negative feedback to those bidders because ebay does not allow it. Ebay sucks. I would never sell anything on ebay again. These fake bidders are used car dealers who create multiple fake accounts and bid on private sellers cars, with no intention to buy.They do that so people would buy their cars instead. EBAY NEEDS TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.I phoned ebay and they are obviously not interested in doing anything about fraudsters who have infected ebay.

Message 1 of 41
Latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: anybody had a problem with fake bidders

@marinok2005 wrote:

There is nothing stopping used car dealers from having ONE account and not coluding with each other to squeze out private car sellers. We have nice conversation going on in here. I hope a lot more people join and discuss their experiences. Hopefully somebody from ebay would take notice and start investigating.

EBay won't take any notice on here because it's a members discussion board. EBay don't come on here unless it's to make an announcement.

A friend sells salvage cars and has been having issues with non payers. I looked at his eBay site last night (for the first time ever) and due to him misbehaving badly by leaving lots of false positive feedback (which I have scolded him about), I was able to establish that most of the non payers have feedback of less than 10. I sent him explicit instructions on how to set up buyer requirement blocks, which he didn't know about and also told him about opening a non paying dispute as opposed to sending a cancellation request (which of course they all refused to accept). I suggested adding these buyers to his blocked buyer list. I even strongly advised him to revise one of his listings immediately as he had about 8 violations that I could see.....but I digress. 

I guess where I'm going with this is, do your non payers have low feedback scores? Do you have buyer requirement blocks in place? Are you adding these non payers to your blocked buyer list? Do you routinely open non payment disputes after 4 days?

Message 11 of 41
Latest reply

A couple more things. First and most important, DO NOT leave false positive feedback for the non payers. It is against eBay's terms and conditions and you could have your account shut down if you continue. If the buyer reports you, the feedback will be removed, you will cop a violation, but they get to keep the nice, green dot, adding to their feedback score.

I looked at the bidders for both listings. They were all below 10 feedback. The first time you listed, you had a 0 feedback bidder. That immediately would have rung alarm bells with me. If you had buyer requirement blocks in place, they wouldn't have been allowed to bid.

If you suspect people bidding are these unscrupulous used car dealers, cancel their bid and block them. Then they can't bid.

Opening non payer disputes are the best way to deal with them as you get your fees back, they get a strike and you block them. If they get another strike, they will find they can't buy off a lot of sellers who have blocks in place. If they open a new account to circumvent the blocks, they are in violation and can have their account closed down. People get sick of having to open new accounts all the time.

Message 12 of 41
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

No it isn't as it gets you your fees back.

Whilst you are out time, you are not out dollars.

Maybe try purposebuilt car selling sites like Carsales or Pickles. Or Gumtree, or your local classifieds, or your local used car yard.

Why do you think eBay, an online distance site, would be the best place to sell a car, a localised pickup item?

how do you get the $8 list fee and the 14.95 reserve fee back if you encounter more than one NPB?

Are they $$?

When ebay returns your $60.00 fvf they recharge you $14.95 becasue the sale becomes an unseuccessful sale with a set reserve.

How many $5 books would a member need to sell for ebay to glean a $22.95 gross profit?

How many $5 books listed over that members free entitlement would a member need to list so that ebay could make a

listing/ upgrade fee gross profit of $22.95?

I have bought and sold umpteen cars/vehicles on ebay. I use the distance nearest first search parameter to search for

cars..............

do a completed listing search on the cars section using the search parameters items nearest first

..... you will see the same cars listed over and over again due to tyre kickers. (the seller threats in the listings generally

become more irate as the list dates progress including naming and shaming the errant non buyers)

Do you know when you can tell when a system does not work???

When you sell the same car to different ebay ids (after manually blocking the first one) who do not pay but have the

same name and delivery address.

atheism is a non prophet organization
Message 13 of 41
Latest reply

@ilovemychooks wrote:

A couple more things. First and most important, DO NOT leave false positive feedback for the non payers. It is against eBay's terms and conditions and you could have your account shut down if you continue. If the buyer reports you, the feedback will be removed, you will cop a violation, but they get to keep the nice, green dot, adding to their feedback score.

I looked at the bidders for both listings. They were all below 10 feedback. The first time you listed, you had a 0 feedback bidder. That immediately would have rung alarm bells with me. If you had buyer requirement blocks in place, they wouldn't have been allowed to bid.

If you suspect people bidding are these unscrupulous used car dealers, cancel their bid and block them. Then they can't bid.

Opening non payer disputes are the best way to deal with them as you get your fees back, they get a strike and you block them. If they get another strike, they will find they can't buy off a lot of sellers who have blocks in place. If they open a new account to circumvent the blocks, they are in violation and can have their account closed down. People get sick of having to open new accounts all the time.

You friend that sells cars get them to go and have a look at how many successful sales they have had to low feedback

ebay users. I think they will find that excluding low feedback buyers would have meant exclusion of many successful

sales.

The big difference being that buying a car is not like buying a pair of frilly knickers nor a $2 hoozit you just do not buy

cars every day nor 10 times a day.

Generally I have noticed that genuine car buyers may have small feedback numbers.

In fact I have sold vehicles to members who have just joined

A lot are inexperienced with distance buying.

Excluding low feedback buyers for vehicle purchasers is not a viable option.

selling vehicles via auction is one area where ebay should allow NPB feedback..... If I am selling something for 15k

plus then I think I will make the time to manually vet buyer feedback and manually exclude npb

Message 14 of 41
Latest reply

completed listings search   BMW 318i 1991 cheap car or parts.No reserve  

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.... Who thinks  this bloke has had enough of NPBs? (yes.... I know him personally)

Multiply listed vehicles on the first page of 100 listings on my completed listing search due to NPB's

BMW 5 28i (1996) 4D Sedan 5 SP Automatic Stept (2.8L - Multi Point F/INJ)

BMW 318i 1991 cheap car or parts.

1961 FB Holden

chev pontiac firebird Trans-am project

BARN FIND 1977 Holden HX Premier 202 Auto Totally Unmolested Has Rust

Damaged Mazda 6 2003 5spd

Message 15 of 41
Latest reply

I noticed the amount of relists by doing regular completed listing search "items nearest first" in the car section because

it is a good search to find people locally parting out cars whose ads have finished especially if you are looking for

specific vehicle parts.

I have found through experience after dealing with a few that if they have become frustrated or are desperate to get rid

of the vehicle that they are more likely  to accept an offer from me locally at a rockbottom price.

(please note it is against ebay policy to approach sellers to purchase items listed on ebay outside of the ebay

purchasing system and I am not advocating this action.  It is not however against policy to contact sellers who put their

telephone numbers in a listing after it has ended)

I think that there are 3 main reasons that there are a large amount of NPB auctions on ebay motors.

I opined that an unscrupulous shyster that live close to a seller could actually do the dummy bidding on ebay that

frustrates the seller and then approach the seller locally for a private sale...at a rock bottom price (another policy

breach see malicious bidding..something I do not do nor advocate)

alternatively

Other sellers listing about the same type of vehicle  bids on other sellers vehicles to price it out of the market so

that mutual lookers are more likely to bid on the scammer sellers vehicle especially if it is inferior in condition.

or thirdly

They are just plain and simple tyrekicker, keyboard mechanic, dreamers who reallly, really, really would like to buy the car but have absolutely no means to do so.

Message 16 of 41
Latest reply

The Op's non paying bidders bid history tells the story in their case. (gotta hate the n/p feedback highlighting thatdon't ya)

If you have a bidder on a car auction and check the bidders bid history and it looks like the OP's non paying bidder

history ie bidding on a zillion cars at once, then odds on there will be a no sale.

The Ops non paying bidder has possibly won 3 vehicle auctions in the last 6 days  or, at least, they have won one the OP's

and are at present the high bidder in two other vehicle auctions.

Op if you are not very skilled on ebay "sleuthing"  you can do an advanced search by bidder as you are privy to the NPB's username and you can see the other vehicle auctions that your NPB is bidding on or has won. this search can also help confirm bonafide bidders

Message 17 of 41
Latest reply

I agree with you and thanks everyone for the input

@colic2bullsgirlore wrote:

I noticed the amount of relists by doing regular completed listing search "items nearest first" in the car section because

it is a good search to find people locally parting out cars whose ads have finished especially if you are looking for

specific vehicle parts.

I have found through experience after dealing with a few that if they have become frustrated or are desperate to get rid

of the vehicle that they are more likely  to accept an offer from me locally at a rockbottom price.

(please note it is against ebay policy to approach sellers to purchase items listed on ebay outside of the ebay

purchasing system and I am not advocating this action.  It is not however against policy to contact sellers who put their

telephone numbers in a listing after it has ended)

I think that there are 3 main reasons that there are a large amount of NPB auctions on ebay motors.

I opined that an unscrupulous shyster that live close to a seller could actually do the dummy bidding on ebay that

frustrates the seller and then approach the seller locally for a private sale...at a rock bottom price (another policy

breach see malicious bidding..something I do not do nor advocate)

alternatively

Other sellers listing about the same type of vehicle  bids on other sellers vehicles to price it out of the market so

that mutual lookers are more likely to bid on the scammer sellers vehicle especially if it is inferior in condition.

or thirdly

They are just plain and simple tyrekicker, keyboard mechanic, dreamers who reallly, really, really would like to buy the car but have absolutely no means to do so.

Message 18 of 41
Latest reply

Hi I just sold my car on friday I have been trying to contact for days no contact at all I had another car to buy but this joke has stuffed it shorley Ebay have got these people details
Message 19 of 41
Latest reply

Most of the information in this nearly FOUR YEAR old thread has been overtaken by eBay policies.

If you have a question, please start a new thread. If you are venting, please don't drag up old threads to do it.

Message 20 of 41
Latest reply