buyer has opened item not received case but item was pickup only

hq-3503
Community Member

A buyer has opened a request for refund of payment for item not received . Item was listed as pickup only. Too big to post. I sent an email to the buyer with my contact details the day i received payment. I havent heard from him til this, 10 days later. How do i protect my seller rating? feedback? fees? chargeback fees?  I sent him my contact details again today.      He claims  "You have made no attempt to contact me so i could pick the item up. Please refund my payment."

He paid thru paypal. So he is claiming a refund for item not received when he hasnt picked it up yet. Can he do that?
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have a feeling you are a victim of ebay's obsession with stopping off ebay trading.

You are supposed to be able to give your details to a buyer after the sale but from reports on the boards the system is not working and messages are not getting through.

You should be able to ask ebay for the buyers phone number and ring them.....they will also get your details.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Seems like this could be exactly as described by Lyndal above.

You will need to act quickly tho because you only have 5-days (I think it is??) to provide an acceptable resolution.

After that the buyer can escalate the case and if they do then ebay will refund them out of your money immediately anyway.

If it goes this way then you will receive a seller defect on your account.

And the buyer could still leave negative feedback which would be almost impossible to have removed.

So get on the phone to ebay quickly and see if you can get a phone number for the buyer and call them about this problem.

Over the phone you can provide your pickup address without the possible ebay blocks thru the messages.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

If I view a sales record, the buyers phone number is often listed under their address in the record details.

Have a look there and see if you can find the number.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Or go to the link below in "advanced search" to get their details - they will also get yours if you go down that path.

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9 

Edit. Perhaps also direct them to this thread to show the buyer where the problems have been with eBay possibly not passing on your emails.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@hq-3503 wrote:

A buyer has opened a request for refund of payment for item not received . Item was listed as pickup only. Too big to post. I sent an email to the buyer with my contact details the day i received payment. I havent heard from him til this, 10 days later. How do i protect my seller rating? feedback? fees? chargeback fees?  I sent him my contact details again today.      He claims  "You have made no attempt to contact me so i could pick the item up. Please refund my payment."

He paid thru paypal. So he is claiming a refund for item not received when he hasnt picked it up yet. Can he do that?

Short answer is yes, he can most certainly get a full refund.

But you don't have to cop any penalties.

We've been through this exact scenario before with a buyer, who was sent several messages & offered a wide range of times for pick up.

What you need to do is ring ebay and speak to them. Make sure you send another message to the buyer before you do. Ask the ebay rep to look at the messages.

In your case, ask ebay if they have blocked your replies & how you are meant to resolve the situation if they have.

If they have not blocked any messages, paypal will still refund him if he wants, because all he has to do is claim he can't get there to pick up & paypal will say he deserves his money back as he doesn't have any item.

The beauty of this system for a buyer of a pick up item is they can never be hit with an unpaid item claim.

In our case, the buyer got a full refund and we were supposed to be refunded all fees as the ebay rep said she could see it was clearly listed as a pick up item. But I don't think we were. Got some back but not all.

But we did not have any penalties against us.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

View the transaction on the app. The phone number is visible there and you can call them to see what they want to do. 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

very stressful for you...I loathe ebays horrible refund policy via the paypal trail..its just too easy for buyers to do so...I have just about given up the idea of selling on ebay, personally...best of luck...

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Agree with all of the above - I'd add one thing: he claims you made no attempt to contact him. If you sent the message via eBay, it should in "My Messages", under "Sent". Be sure to include details of it when you contact eBay.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply