can you put a reserve price on a diamond ring

Could anyone tell me whether it's posible to put a reserve price on an item? I want to sell an 18ct genuine gold ring with a half carat solitaire diamond. Although I realise I won't be able to sell it close to the price paid ($3.500) but I would consider listing as an auction instead of 'buy now' if I can be sure of having a reserve price.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks 

trisha (trisha2711)

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

trisha, there are no reserves on general items such as jewellery.  Reserves can be put in place on Real Estate, Cars, Motorbikes etc, but not general items such as household goods, jewellery, electrical items, mobile phones, collectibles etc.

The way you can include a pseudo reserve price is to start your auction at the lowest price you are prepared to accept, effectively a reserve price (of sorts).

Auctions used to be a great way to sell items on eBay.  Nowadays, auctions often receive one bid, which is why it is recommended to start the auction at the lowest price you are prepared to sell for.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

trisha, there are no reserves on general items such as jewellery.  Reserves can be put in place on Real Estate, Cars, Motorbikes etc, but not general items such as household goods, jewellery, electrical items, mobile phones, collectibles etc.

The way you can include a pseudo reserve price is to start your auction at the lowest price you are prepared to accept, effectively a reserve price (of sorts).

Auctions used to be a great way to sell items on eBay.  Nowadays, auctions often receive one bid, which is why it is recommended to start the auction at the lowest price you are prepared to sell for.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

No such thing as a reserve price on ebay Australia except motor vehicles and real estate

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

No reserves are possible on Australia's eBay except for motor vehicles and real estate. In effect your start price on an auction is your reserve.

Be careful of putting a "buy it now" on an auction because once the first bid is placed the BIN dsappears.

Edit............ too slow today enigma and slr.............sigh.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks so much for that - I actually thought that was the situation - perhaps I should list it as 'buy now'.

Thanks again for the help ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@trisha2711 wrote:

Thanks so much for that - I actually thought that was the situation - perhaps I should list it as 'buy now'.

Thanks again for the help ๐Ÿ™‚

I would consider what padi cautions against and list as an auction starting at the lowest price you aware prepared to accept . . . . . . and include a Buy-Now price that is 30% higher than that price.  Someone may decide that the Buy-Now price is a good price to avoid the risk of missing out on the item due to a bidding war developing.

Some buyers place a bid on Auction Buy-Now listings to get rid of the Buy-Now price, so that Auction Buy-Now strategy can work to kick-start bidding on your item.

I once listed an enlarger timer as an Auction with a Buy-Now price.  The start price was just $12 and the Buy-Now was $50.  The $50 price would have been a good price to pay, but a member placed a bid for $12 to eliminate the buy-now price.  This kicked off a bidding war and the price I got at auction was $72 (still a good price for the buyer).

Doesnโ€™t always work, but can with the right pricing.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply