customer won't return purchase they are not happy with

i have had the strangest ebay experience as a seller, I sold some items and apparently they were not as described (my oversight) and instead of the customer contacting me to resolve the problem they just left negatvie feedback on my feedback. I tried 5 times to contact them to ask them to send the items back for full refund. They told me they got rid of the items and not to contact them. I have contacted ebay about it. I don't get why the buyer wouldn't contact me first as i would never sell something someone was not happy with.

I want my items back, I even asked ebay to contact them on my behalf but they are not replying. This has left me very upset and i just feel like closing my account and not selling anymore on ebay.

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Don't let one buyer get to you. There are strange people in the world.

If the buyer doesn't want anymore to do with you, just leave it be and eBay can't do anything.

eBay also need to respect the wishes of the buyer.

If the neg was on this ID then it has been removed.

Besides one neg is not the end of the world and often you can leave a sensible reply showing it's the buyer being unreasonable.

Therefore usually it won't affect your selling and the neg drops away after 12 months from your percentage.

image host
Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

I requested ebay to remove the negative feedback and they did as they too believed it was unfair of them to leave the feedback without contacting me first to resolve the problem and seeing my previous good rating they agreed to remove it.

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Best to just leave it be then. If the buyer threw it out, that's their problem. They are now without the money and the item. You've been paid, eBay removed the feedback, there's nothing else to be done. My guess is it was a low feedback buyer. They often don't contact when something is wrong, they just go for the jugular. I would add that buyer to your blocked buyer list. If they see the feedback has been removed, they might revenge buy so they can neg you again.

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

@verotris wrote:

i have had the strangest ebay experience as a seller, I sold some items and apparently they were not as described (my oversight) and instead of the customer contacting me to resolve the problem they just left negatvie feedback on my feedback. I tried 5 times to contact them to ask them to send the items back for full refund. They told me they got rid of the items and not to contact them. I have contacted ebay about it. I don't get why the buyer wouldn't contact me first as i would never sell something someone was not happy with.

I want my items back, I even asked ebay to contact them on my behalf but they are not replying. This has left me very upset and i just feel like closing my account and not selling anymore on ebay.

Hey, you've been lucky here.

They left a neg (which has been removed) but from the sound of it, never opened a case to return the item or get their money back.

I am sure tippy is right and these will be low feedback buyers, maybe fairly new to ebay.

They obviously can't or won't return your item. That's a plus for you-no bother, no loss of fees etc

This business of 'not as described'. Could it just be they didn't like the items or had not read the ads properly? If it is clothing items, is it just they didn't fit as well as they expected? (always a risk buyers take when buying online).

If it is any of those sorts of reasons, then if I were you, I would not worry about 'not resolving' the problem.

If, on the other hand, the items had faults not mentioned, then that's just something to keep in mind if you list more things in the future.

But what is making me doubt that it is all your fault is you mention 'items' plural. I can see a fault slipping past in maybe one item but I seriously doubt all the items would be 'not as described.'

The customer isn't always right & if you're pretty sure your items were as described, then don't worry about it as they didn't deserve a refund anyway.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

i am really carefull describing items but as i say in my auctions 'i am only human and my miss something' which could have happened in this case i did not button up the items when i did the auction or when i sent them. I have even listed the smallest marks that are the size of a pinhead in auctions. I try to be thorough in my listings as i don't want negative feedback. The buyer has heaps of feedback and been on ebay awhile.

What i don't understand is why didn't they contact me straight away to sort the problem out and send me photos or something and i would have been more then happy to even pay for the postage for them to send the items back and give a full refund.

I have blocked them.

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

If they were a seasoned buyer, what was their feedback left for others like? Do they have a habit of leaving negs? Do they have a lot of revised feedbacks? If you run auctions and buyers bid early, always check their feedback left for others. It can avoid having to deal with potential disasters. I have only cancelled 1 bidder. Out of 30 feedback left for others, 29 were red dots. The other one was revised. They had about 40 feedback. They were yellow star (it turns to dark blue at 50). I wasn't prepared to be their 30th red dot. If they bid at the last second obviously you can't check, but do it with any early bidders. You can learn a lot about a buyer by their feedback left for others.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

thank you for that advice. I never thought to look.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply