date issues

Anyone else having their money held up because the date on your ID is glitching out their system? This is why my money is being held up. Now I'm getting up there in owed money  but expected to keep sending orders and I'm getting a bit nervous about it. They assure me they " have the money so please send items" and that it'll be resolved within a week, but I've been trying to resolve this for many weeks. It's starting to cause a problem anyone else having same issue, if not then why am I the only one if the way we do our date is the issue? They say when they run my I'd it clashes with American style,date , therefore all Australians sellers must be suffering?

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

date issues

Adyen is the payment processor who is behind managed payments - they are the ones who require ID, and any issues with ID being accepted will be in their hands. That's why eBay will ultimately be useless in resolving a problem, they can only defer to Adyen and hope they fix it quickly enough. 

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

@digital*ghost wrote:

@instylecollectables wrote:

There should be no issues at all

For example 13/10 converts to 10/13 

31/12 to 12/31 both the days and months coincide when switched around as it has to be switched when converting to the US date.

Surely the system doesn't leave the numbers in place while switching the days and months?

If so then that's just absurd 

Traditional format for entering birthdates is always numerical only. In Aus thats dd/mm/yyyy, in the US it's mm/dd/yyyy.

That means if someone born on the 15th April submits their ID, it will list 15/04 as the birthdate in AU format.

In US format, though, that = the 15th month of the year, and since there are no months after 12 (unless you count Smarch and its stupid lousy weather), then getting a birthdate of 15-4 will inevitably give an error.

But if this was a legitimate problem, I should have experienced the same issue, as my b/d is after the 12th. 

@The op - you can talk to someone on the phone; click "learn how you get paid", scroll down to the end, click "have us call you",  else you can try going over eBay's head to Adyen.

But they have to switch the days and months around like I said because it's an Australian license that's being checked.

No matter if it's been converted to the US date system it still needs to be switched over, what crazy system is it that's being used as the system is totally incorrect and pointless.

I understand what you're saying but if this is looked at logically then there shouldn't be any issues.

Don't the Americans know we Aussies have the date system the correct way and that's how it should be done haha.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

I rang adyen, useless, I give up...just gonna cancel all orders and remove all ads until it's ever resolved....

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

@digital*ghost wrote:

Adyen is the payment processor who is behind managed payments - they are the ones who require ID, and any issues with ID being accepted will be in their hands. That's why eBay will ultimately be useless in resolving a problem, they can only defer to Adyen and hope they fix it quickly enough. 

That's another thing that I don't get as Adyen is based in Australia and they're the ones that need to identify every seller on ebay.com.au why is the license ID being reverted to the American date system?

And as we have only heard from 1 seller with an issue I truly don't believe what the seller is being told as to why they haven't received any of their sales funds yet is true, something smells bad about the whole situation, like you said a whole lot more of us would be complaining because if it has something to do with the dates then there must be so many days of the month that no one was born on and everyone selling were all born on the same days because they don't have any issues.

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

@collectocopia wrote:

I rang adyen, useless, I give up...just gonna cancel all orders and remove all ads until it's ever resolved....

I'd keep selling if I was you as long as you have funds to post the items.

In the end you'll still be owed alot of money from your sales and eventually you will receive those funds even if this isn't resolved for a while, and surely it will be resolved.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

That's another thing that I don't get as Adyen is based in Australia and they're the ones that need to identify every seller on ebay.com.au why is the license ID being reverted to the American date system?

And as we have only heard from 1 seller with an issue I truly don't believe what the seller is being told as to why they haven't received any of their sales funds yet is true, something smells bad about the whole situation, like you said a whole lot more of us would be complaining because if it has something to do with the dates then there must be so many days of the month that no one was born on and everyone selling were all born on the same days because they don't have any issues.

They're actually a Dutch company (headquarters in Amsterdam), but they do have a presence here and the US are the only weirdos who write the date mm/dd/yyyy, so I can only assume that same as yourself - the excuse is nonsensical. My guess is it was just devised to do what ebay CS's primary job purpose is - if they can't fix easily there and then, get them off the line with something that will placate them for a while. 

Not to mention Adyen do Etsy's payments, which only has one extremely US-centric site, and even then the date format on my ID didn't trigger any problems.

At this stage I'd consider reporting to AFCA, since Adyen are signatories - money is being withheld for a bogus reason and it sounds like neither eBay nor Adyen are providing assistance, or any means to resolve. 

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

Is it possible that it's not the date/s on the Licence clashing with the US dates, but rather the Licence Number doing so because it looks like a US Date but with too many numerals?

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

I couldn't say for sure, but am inclined to think it's unlikely - eBay don't ask for scans or copies of the license, they ask for the number and verify the ID digitally, so the license number should be distinctly designated as that number after entering it into that field. 

They do cross-reference ID info, though, it needs to be identical to information entered elsewhere so if your bank statement says something like Joe R Bloggs and your license just says Joe Bloggs, that can potentially cause a verification problem, same with minor discrepancies in addresses (stuff that wouldn't cause a problem with Aus Post, but might with automated data matching; I'm not sure how much leeway they give, though). 

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

@digital*ghost wrote:

I couldn't say for sure, but am inclined to think it's unlikely - eBay don't ask for scans or copies of the license, they ask for the number and verify the ID digitally, so the license number should be distinctly designated as that number after entering it into that field. 

They do cross-reference ID info, though, it needs to be identical to information entered elsewhere so if your bank statement says something like Joe R Bloggs and your license just says Joe Bloggs, that can potentially cause a verification problem, same with minor discrepancies in addresses (stuff that wouldn't cause a problem with Aus Post, but might with automated data matching; I'm not sure how much leeway they give, though). 

Yes, that happened to me, on ebay I originally registered as FN/LN, but at the Bank I was FN/MN/LN.

So I had to change my ebay rego, but it wouldn't let me put in a middle name.

I got around it by changing my ebay FN to my actual FN/MN.

But it still looks weird to see "G'day FN/MN" at the top of the page, or on ebay emails.

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

date issues

@digital*ghost wrote:

None of these foreign web based companies are actually based here. Paypal, eBay, Adyen, Facebook, Sendle, Twitter, Stake, Google are a few examples.
They'd only have a few executives here and lawyers. Few reasons being is for; Marketing, Complying with local laws and regulations, to deal with any potential legal complaints or lawsuits and lastly to actually have an ABN and legal operate in Australia. You need to have an office here to operate a business in our country. It's very unlikely you'll ever speak to an Aussie.

If they say the are from Australia they are lying. I was recently on the phone to Stake (stock trading site) customer service and they guy had an american accent and it was 8pm and he was trying to tell me with the massive delay in the call he was in the Sydney office.

Just look at where a companies HQ is actually registered, for example Adyen is registered in the Netherlands (likely for tax purposes).

There is exeptions for physical companies such as Couriers Please, UPS, Amazon FBA Warehouse, Optus, etc where they have items they need to have fulfilled by a contractor, but their customer service will be largely overseas based.

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply