eBay actually stood up for me to a rogue buyer.

Well, blow me down, eBay actually took the side of the seller.

Most buyers are great, this one was a particularly nasty piece of work, full of swearing and invective.

Harrased me to pay a refund for non delivery of $8 item, after I had done it, he informed me by email that the item had arrived and he was not going to pay for it again.

So, gets to keep the coin and the money.

Then leaves awful, lying feedback, just to put the boot in.

eBay removed the feedback on my request, as at least they could see I had paid a refund, of course I am still $8 out of pocket, but what the heck, half a win is better than none at all.

Such are the trials of Internet selling, but as I say, most buyers are very good and appreciated.

The bad ones, few as they are, however, are memorable.

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

Should I try ACORN or spend the time listing more stuff, hmm, will probably go for option number two.

A report to ACORN takes about 10 minutes and is all done online. A police report may take a bit more time and effort, but if it results in the buyer being suspended, I reckon it would be worth it. You don't have to negotiate, argue or convince the authorities of anything here, you just have to show / report. 

Having a permanent record of this buyer's activities lodged with the relevant authorities could be significant, one day, even if it won't get your money back. 

Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

My view, good choice yeoldecoinco. In the past I have spent hours ( or was it days ) on the phone and sending emails trying to right the wrongs of ebay nutters. Was it worth it ? ..................NNNaaaaaa !!!

The aggravation and frustration was making ebay a very unpleasant experience.

Beautiful, I love it. eBay throws up several nutters and thieves each year on my volume.

I try to get over it and move on as I have no staff and have to keep the productive work level up.

Running a business and Selling is a tough game, one has to be emotionally strong and ride the roller coaster, good days, bad days, low sales days, etc, etc...

As, I have said, overall my eBay customers are very good.

Thinking about it both raises my blood pressure and makes me want to go outside and have a smoke, something that is not a good idea.

So I think, forget it, make a list of the emails and his address, so if I ever am assaulted or murdered, the police will at least know where to look..

However, I can see the other side of it too, why pass on the problem to someone else?

But, lets say I follow it through and send all his vile emails to eBay and they suspend him or cancel his account?

Then he might just be vindictive enough to follow through on his threats, the latest of which is to assault me at the upcoming Adelaide Coin show in November... A curious dilemma, to forget about it, cut the stress and move on, or to take it further...

Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

Ah yes I remember the good ol' days,one guy was coming around to bash the **bleep** out of me lol.

I said no worries my 2 babies will be waiting out the front for you and the babies are still waiting for him lol.

Basically it's the buyer just blowing hot air lol but it's handy to have 2 little puppies just in case haha.

And ebay I'm still waiting for my money from those thieves you let off Scott free Woman Frustrated

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

I'd think about at least making the report to ACORN - 10 minutes, you don't have to talk to anyone, just fill in a form, and if his name starts appearing there frequently, he might actually start getting some consequences to his actions one day.
Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

@yeoldecoinco wrote:

Then he might just be vindictive enough to follow through on his threats, the latest of which is to assault me at the upcoming Adelaide Coin show in November... A curious dilemma, to forget about it, cut the stress and move on, or to take it further...

with such a specific threat you should be able to get action from the authorities.  Make a complaint to police about the specific threat.  That way, if he follows through, he can’t use a defence of “he started it” or “I was defending myself” as it can be shown to be a pre-meditated action and, as such, any penalties would be harsher.

If you just forget about it and take no action the threat will still remain, and it is possible to be carried out by this person without appropriate precautions in place, and the threats may escalate.

If you take it further you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, in my opinion, as you go some way to neutralising the threat.  If the authorities contact him regarding the threat he would need to be really stupid to continue making threats or try to carry them out, or even approach you at the coin show.

If you run a stall at the coin show you should report the threat to the organisers of the event.  You have evidence of the threat through the emails/messages.  Such a report to the organisers would carry more weight if you can show them that you have reported the threats to police.  They, or the police, may be able to prevent him from even entering the event.

I reckon that doing nothing about the threats is going to enable this person.  It will send a message that his behaviour is okay as it is accepted by those he threatens and there are no consequences for his actions.

Imagine that you find out that he has been doing this to a dozen or so other sellers over a long period of time and none of them did anything about it, they just ‘forgot about it’.  Would you think that if just one of them had taken action then maybe you wouldn’t be going through this?  If you do, then you owe it to other sellers to treat this seriously and end what is most like pattern behaviour of this person making what amount to very serious threats, threats that you can rightfully take action over.

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

by pattern behaviour I mean that nobody wakes up one morning and just thinks to themself “I am going to threaten to kill someone today, and I will make him really scared by saying I will find him at the Adelaide coin show and bash him” . . . . . . you can be sure that he has threatened others because perpetrators of this type of threat start out with small threats that are not specific like “I know where you live” before escalating to the more serious ones . . . . . . and they will continue to escalate until he suffers the consequences of making threats, and this won’t happen until somebody stands up to him and reports him to the police.

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

by pattern behaviour I mean that nobody wakes up one morning and just thinks to themself “I am going to threaten to kill someone today, and I will make him really scared by saying I will find him at the Adelaide coin show and bash him” . . . . . . you can be sure that he has threatened others because perpetrators of this type of threat start out with small threats that are not specific like “I know where you live” before escalating to the more serious ones . . . . . . and they will continue to escalate until he suffers the consequences of making threats, and this won’t happen until somebody stands up to him and reports him to the police.

Oh how I love those words... suffer the consequences. They are what is missing in so much of life today and so often even in law.

You are so right, this will be a pattern of bullying and possibly dangerous behaviour.

My reason for saying report it to the police isn't so much about getting him off ebay (though he probably needs to be booted), it is about self defence. Never assume that a person making threats won't carry through.

I have known of at least 3 people who have suffered horrendously from stalkers who carried through with their threats. One woman, even with the law on her side, the stalker just said he didn't care if he went to jail and sure enough, he ended up in jail.

This man may or may not forget the threat, but I think it should at least be on record. The police won't necessarily even contact him if you put in a complaint but you could have it on record, just in case.

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Honestly, in the time you took to write your last post in this thread you could probably have half finished an ACORN report. Which is most important - telling the authorities who can actually do something about it or chatting about it to other people who can't do a thing? If your buyer reads here he may deduce that you're too scared to report him, which will only encourage him.  And why do people always assume the other party to their transaction is never going to read the forums to see what's said about them?

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

That assumption has certainly bitten people before now.

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I have reported this charmer to ACORN and also to my local police station.

So, should anything further happen, I at least have put it on record.

Message 20 of 22
Latest reply