eBay hitting me up for return shipping !!

i sent a  brand new automotive product to a buyer in the USA  I insist that it is fitted by a professional.The  guy admits to fitting it himself and as a result damaged the item . I now have received a demand  from eBay to refund the purchase price and shipping (and he keeps this high dollar  product ,) because the idiot has claimed that item is defective and not as described  , . I  want my product returned  I'll wear the cost of repairing the unit but not the shipping  . I my industry if there's an issue with a product it is to be returned to the manufacturer for inspection to determine whether customer or manufactures fault ,before any refund is given shipping paid by customer  and that's the way consumer law been here for a very long time  ..  and of course pay pal has frozen the funds   eBay wants me to pay and print out a return  shipping  document  how the hell does that work ? When the  buyers in a different country don't think US post will recognise Aussie post labels. I have had my winge , No more overseas sales on eBay 

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I can't help - but my first suggestion is dont do anything now - wait until tomorrow - you need to think it out - and others will have helpful suggestions - good luck

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are right that you cannot send the buyer a return postage label.

I would start by ringing ebay and tell them that the buyer has admitted to damaging the item.....if he has admitted it in ebay messages ebay can read it.  If they accept this it would mean that you do not have to pay the return postage.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

screamingdemon_2007
Community Member
had the similar experience... guy orders part for a motorbike, listing clearly states exactly what model it was for... he trys to fit it to a different motorbike, resulting in the item being badly damaged... he starts the "item not as described" complaint, demands I pay the return post from the USA, escalated the complaint to a claim. I disputed the claim with pictures of the returned damaged item, item model details, buyer's msg's confessing he ordered the wrong part, ebay took 30mins to give rule in buyers favour.

My total loss including the item, initial post to the USA & return post along with the cost of the item was $860 AUD...

Good on ya Ebay... Thanks a million for your support... brrrrrr
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

It is cases like these that are the reason many sellers no longer sell to international countries (not to mention the eBay fees on the postage). Once the item is out of Australia it is no no longer covered by Australian consumer law so there really is no legal recourse.

I'd speak to eBay and if you cannot get a result demand to speak to a supervisor. If you can prove he attempted to install the part you may have a case. However eBay side with the buyer in the majority of cases.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

allfixelectrical
Community Member

Report ebay & the buyer who is trying to scam a refund for false reasons to Acorn and report Paypal to FOS to get them to release your money.

https://www.acorn.gov.au/

http://www.fos.org.au/resolving-disputes/before-you-lodge-a-dispute/

Give both of them the heads up first that you intend to do so.

I am so over hearing these stories about ebay's behaviour.

There are many threads and instances on the internet showing ebay does not bother to look at both sides of the story in a buyer seller dispute.

At least in Australia we have half decent laws governing such behaviour.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply