eBay plus express postage

An eBay Plus metro buyer can now now get free express postage on any of my eBay plus listings even though I have $12.20 express postage listed (Australia Post cost). Ebay pays you a token $4 towards your express postage. I have removed Express Postage from all my listings as I don't want to be $8.20 out of pocket each Express Postage transaction.

This is the first time I'm aware that eBay can override your postage. Anybody experienced similar or have any suggestions?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: eBay plus express postage

In the case of express letters, it might be that making them (flexible) document only enables machine sorting through the letter sorters, whereas if they allow them to contain anything, they'd have to hand-sort any that contain rigid items (i.e stuff you'd normally send in thick padded mailers, or flat boxes, as those have to be hand sorted). If the contents prevent machine sorting used for letters, express is likely only feasible if they were sorted electronically the same way parcels are, and so need to be sent through the parcel service (at least, for the next day guarantee to be able to be upheld where applicable, and when it's in effect). 

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

We have been using CD boxes for many small items over the last 5 years, sending as a large letter.  On occasion if on the borderline of 20mm we put 3 x $1.10 stamps on & put it in the box outside the PO.....never had a problem & that way the staff in the PO are not responsible if over 20mm.  Yes we have been caught a few times with the Ebay $4 where we clearly state $8 extra for express, but only a few times, so no big deal.

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

The difference is some of the items I sell are phone parts, if I send them in a C5 or B4 express envelope they get pinged half the time nor will PO accept it.
Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

I am also effected by this ridiculous scam.

As a seller you really need to sharpen your prices otherwise you do not sell. I charge a fair price but low profit. Next I offer free standard parcel post which costs me $8.95, and offer express postage option of $5.00. 

With Ebay Plus, buyers usually choose the Express option at no cost to them, however it costs me to provide this option. Example:

Item Sells for $26.99

Ebay pays to $4.00 for Express postage

Ebay pays me 30.99

Hello, I am selling for under cost. Minimum payment should be 31.99.

When I contacted customer services, they were no help at all. I explained that if Ebay pays for $4.00 for Express postage, then the buyer should be paying the extra $1 for postage. Which is fair. They provided no answers except, I am exptected to cover the extra $1 cost. They will provide feedback on this matter to their manager, I'm sure everyone gets this standard reply.

At the risk of losing sales, by not offering Express Postage, I am not prepared to keep making losses at Ebays expense. So if my express postage was $15.00, I would need to stump up $11.00 because Ebay will only cover $4. The buyer does not pay any extra for Express.

Under Ebay Plus, they say that a fair amount for Express needs to be charged, max $15.00. My point is not matter what is charged, they only cover you $4.00. This is a Robin Hood policy, robbing sellers to pay buyers.

Has anyone challenged this policy, or is it best not to offer Ebay Plus.

Your views will be appreciated.

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

I make sure my listings don't qualify for plus. I don't sell to be ripped off by eBay. I charge $12.50 for express for under500g. Why should I be out of pocket $8.50 because eBay has decided it's a good idea?

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

The scam doesn't stop there, ebay then take a final value fee from the $4 they have 'given' you so you areout of pocket even more than you think. I've just been caught with this rort so am changing all the listings to 2 day handling to avoid ebay plus

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply