eBay structure

Hi all,
Seems strange how eBay has not moved with the times, & yet will still charge whatever they can to squeeze every cent out of sellers.
eBay is not a soley auction site like it once was. There structure needs to change to move with todays market, not the standards from when they first launched. I absolutely agree that with an auction listing Final Value Fees would be charged for the selling of that product, without question. But, with online Stores selling at a fixed price, your not auctioning anything but still have to pay the same Final Value Fees as with an auction. Really, eBay has become an online fixed price shopping mecha like any other shopping mall, just without the bricks & mortar. So why hasn't eBay introduced a Shop Fee structure as rental like any other bricks & mortar shop business would pay, regardless of how many sales they make.
Without shop sellers eBay is nothing, would whither away. So why not get with the programme & run it with todays market and demands in mind. Move with the times.
I know greed has alot to do with not changing with the times, although eBay should be looking after it's sellers & the income they generate from it, not taking advantage of the platform created.
A fee on postage is another aspect that is completely wrong. Postage is expensive enough. As a seller we pay postage to purchase an item, now a fee to charge postage, then have to pay postage once sold. 3 postage related costs for just one item. It's absurd. Example, buyer asks, 'why is your express postage that price now?', reply, 'eBay now charge a fee on postage so I need to charge you more to cover it & to purchase the postage you want.'
My words here alone may mean nothing to eBay itself, but as a collective, it may have some impact. Wont hold my breath tho.
Anyone else like to share their feelings regarding this?

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

eBay structure

@saustin75 wrote:

So why hasn't eBay introduced a Shop Fee structure as rental like any other bricks & mortar shop business would pay, regardless of how many sales they make.

Because I suspect it would make running an eBay store unviable but for a very select few, and I believe those select few actually already get courted with special deals, fee discounts and free advertising. 

If we look at the top tier store - anchor - it costs $500 a month and attrracts FVF on the lowest scale (which varies by category and - in some cases - price, anywhere from 4% to 7.5%). This store level provides unlimited fixed price listings for free, though auctions (unless in the collectables category) still cost $1.50. Any business that has an anchor store is likely to have a high volume of listings and/or turnover, so at a guess would probably pay several thousand dollars a year in FVF. This is pretty much eBay's entire business model - maximise profit from successful sales - which is why they've eliminated many of the upfront costs of listing, so they've actually gone in the opposite direction for the average seller. I would say that if they intrduced a fixed price store, or perhaps capped costs, it would be beyond the realm of possibility for the average little store. 

I think I would prefer eBay's business model to rely on seller's being successful, to be honest, even though it very often doesn't feel like it, this way they have more of a vested interest in sellers making sales rather than sellers listing items, and their initiatives (not just their crazy schemes, but other more positive stuff like advertising and promotions) retain the focus on generating custom / sales, which hopefully also means the mistakes they make, and which affect their members negatively, will be felt by them a little more quickly and sharply.... In theory, anyway. Smiley LOL

I strongly disagree with the FVF on postage. I think it is unethical for a wide variety of reasons, and unfair that it's on whatever the buyer pays here, but only charged on the first domestic option offered in the US (so doesn't increase if a more expensive postage service is chosen by the buyer, or required as would be the case for an international sale). They make it very difficult for sellers of items with variable postage costs, and I'm bemused by the postage policies eBay have in place that effectively dictate what a seller's postage costs can be, then they take a slice of it. FVF on item price is fair because the seller dictates what they will charge and can more easily account for a percentage since items prices typically are not variable.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

eBay structure

Fair points there. When your paying out thousands of dollars per month in FVF fees, it just does not seem like a great model to keep sellers. I'd be completely happy to pay a few thousand in a shop fee to be able to sell as much as I like. Charge 5c a listing, all good too.
Message 3 of 3
Latest reply