People Selling Items they Don't Have - How is this Legal ?

I just made my first ever Ebay purchase of a $1450 monitor a few days ago.

The item was listed as Available with mutliple units still in stock before and after purchase.

Seller advertised shipping after 3 days of recieveing payment and estimated delivery of 5 days.

I get an email from the seller saying the item is only manfactured in small quantities and that I have to wait a further 15 days for the item to be shipped. So in total it will take over a month to get this item.

This is Freud to me, it's people taking out loans through false advertisement to pay for stock they don't have. I have requested the seller to cancel my purchase but have not heard back from him/her.

Anything I can do about this ?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

whoa I would be very suss about this and would back out.If they don't cancel it then tough luck for them the most that can happen to you is you will receive a non payment strike which is a heck of a lot better than losing $1450

If you have paid then I certainly hope you paid by paypal only. If you paid by paypal remember you only have 45 days to lodge a complaint if you don't get your item. I would lodge it at day 40 and then escalate it to a claim straight away.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Hi Harley,

Thank you for that useful information.

I did just recieve an email from the seller saying they will cancel my purchase and asked me to accept cancellation.

When I went to the item case, Ebay told me I should only accept the cancellation once a refund has been issued, which there isn't, nothing pending on my forwarding account.

I replied, thanking him/her for honoring my request and that I await a refund so that I may accept cancellation.

Fingers crossed.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Sorry for the double post, but I have a strange issue.

I recieved an email roughly an hours ago from Paypal saying the seller refunded me the full payment, though there is nothing in my Paypal account.

I used my debit card for the transaction, as I learned refunds will be forwarded to that account, but there is no refund or pending refunds for that account either.

I'm new to all this, does it just take a while for things like this to go through ?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

If by debit card I presume you mean credit card, if so check your card account, it takes about 2 days to show up, well it did in my case.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

If it's refunding directly to your card then, yes, it can take a few days to show up in your bank

If you look at the original transaction on paypal, it should state refunded. 

@blyle-danie wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but I have a strange issue.

I recieved an email roughly an hours ago from Paypal saying the seller refunded me the full payment, though there is nothing in my Paypal account.

I used my debit card for the transaction, as I learned refunds will be forwarded to that account, but there is no refund or pending refunds for that account either.

I'm new to all this, does it just take a while for things like this to go through ?

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Oh good, thanks for clarifying that.

I looked at the transaction details on my PP account but it looked very strange to me. The refunded amount was showing as -$1,476AUD which made me think something was broken or wrong.

Thanks again and happy shopping.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply