ebay refunds buyer even through item shows delivered and signed for!!

Here is what happenned:

- Buyer claims did not receive $200 item, even though tracking shows delivered and signed for.

- I escalate claims and ebay rules in my favour. 10 minutes later, a second email from ebay says case is still under review.

- Next, ebay rules in favour of buyer. I lose $200+postage+ebay selling fees = $250.

- I call ebay, they tell me that buyer signed a statuatary declaration claiming item not received. So essentially tell me to bug off.

- I file case with courier, Fastway, who immediately decline saying tracking shows delivered. So they are done.

- Net result, I still lost $250.

- What hurts the most is that ebay keeps my selling fees.

So you can see how this works. You can take all the precautions in the world as a seller but you WILL still lose out as ebay WILL favour the buyer over you.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: ebay refunds buyer even through item shows delivered and signed for!!

@asporty wrote:

Excellent suggestions. Thanks

The first ebay rep kept telling me to wait and a detailed ebay response will appear in the resolution center and I can appeal then. To date (after one week), if I click on 'details' in resolution center, only a blank page comes up. My apprehension is that ebay does not have any plans to give me any more details, nor a chance to appeal.

I sent ebay an email last night and have yet to receive a response.

I read through ACCC complaint process yesterday and looks like they are pointing people to state tribunals. And not sure if ebay has legal presence in Australia that can be challenged.

Actually, your problem is that you tried to deal with this through eBay seller protection which is very weak and very Buyer-centric.

My first move would have been to make a claim under PayPal seller protection which I've always found to be good.

All that's needed is the tracking number showing delivery to the buyers postcode and PP should cover you with no hassles.

Definitely go this way with any future INR claims.

In fact it may not be too late - give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

@dazzledayz wrote:

My first move would have been to make a claim under PayPal seller protection which I've always found to be good.

Actually I did that. I went after Paypal also but they said its an ebay sale and has nothing to do with them. They are slippery folks but I plan to pursue it further.

Paypal rep said that I can file a case under unauthorized withdrawal, but that is not what it is. Do you know how I can pursue it under their seller protection program?
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

You can only be eligible for seller protection (with PayPal) if the buyer opens a PayPal dispute, which they didn't, so you are left with eBay's policies and eligibility requirements.

This can be reduced to one simple fact - you provided proof of delivery, thus meeting eBay's requirements. Should they then decide to refund the buyer, they need to cover the refund, as they state they will.

I would be contacting them and asking them why they have not followed through on their policies (link them to it of they hem and haw about it). I would also advise them if the funds are not returned to you, it will be pursued legally. 

Don't give them any room to make excuses or try to spin it in a way where they can wriggle out of it, just point out that their policies clearly state that when a seller proves delivery, ebay cover the refund - you complied with their policies, and now you expect them to uphold said policies and return your funds. 

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

For future reference, If sending items by courier, particularly expensive items, there is generally a provision for Special instructions on the courier page, i would add to this photo I.D. Is required so that when the courier delivers the item they can take the details of the receiver, or a photograph as evidence.

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

My latest appeal to ebay has resulted in the following reply:

Upon checking the case details here, at first, the case was decided in your favour as the tracking number shows as delivered. Then the buyer appealed saying it was not them who signed for the item. We asked them for a proof that they did not receive any parcel and it was not them who signed it and they were able to comply that is why we grant the appeal. What I can do for you right now is that I have manually credited you with your final value fee. I highly suggest that you contact the courier again if you can appeal on the claim so that you can be refunded.

Should you have questions, just let us know. Thanks for choosing eBay!

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

How are you communicating with them?

If it's any method other than the phone, drop that avenue and call them or request a call back so that you can speak to a person (I prefer requesting a call back).

If you appeal, or ask why the buyer was refunded from your funds, they'll just keep repeating themselves and explain why they decided the case in the buyer's favour, so you need a different approach - you want to get them to explain why they haven't covered the refund themselves, because they state that they will when a sller proves delivery, and you have established proof of delivery already as per their requirements. 

If you don't have any luck that way, post politely but vocally on the AU Facebook page. 

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

Finally!! I sent them the denial letter from the courier, image of tracking info, and copy of ebay seller protection policy as suggested by DG (many thanks).

Thanks for getting back to us with the very detailed information and all the supporting documents needed. I'll be happy to help you with this.

I reviewed the case and I'm glad to inform you that I decided to give you a full refund. This refund is from eBay and it may take 7-10 business days for you to receive it. Don't worry, I'll request this refund to our Finance Department now.

Thanks for choosing eBay. Have a great day

I am a bit sceptical about their refunds but lets hope it does show up in 7-10 business days as promised.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

Excellent news 🙂 I hope they follow through on that ASAP. 

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply