ebay witholding funds

mego007
Community Member

i sold an item on ebay for $****. It sold quickly. almost as quick was ebay withdrawing $600 plus as their share , but putting my money on hold for 4 weeks! I have been an ebay seller/buyer since 2006. Because i havent sold anything in a year , "their policy " is the right to hold MY money (but take theirs of course) this is bad business. The buyer is over the moon with the item and left emails and feedback as such. But the ebay robots i called ( for the best part of an hour) are reading from a script with no give as we have the right to hold MY money cause they say so. I will be closing my ebay accounts and my friends and families plus my company account will also go. Beyond disappointed, I will NEVER recommend ebay to anyone. Marketplace, gumtree etc for sure ......ebay ......never.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

ebay witholding funds

I am not sure why you believe the policy that applies to ALL new sellers, and sellers who have not sold in some time should exclude you?

You agreed to the terms when you listed the item

No, I do not work for eBay

I just happen to dislike the attitude 'those rules don't apply to me' 

Please, by all means warn people that they will not get special treatment because of how long they have been a member, who how much they sold years ago

Are your 'friends and family' aware you have decided they will be closing their accounts too?

eBay will not have a clue if you close your accounts, and will not care

YOU ticked you had read and understood 

Yes, eBay cs DO read from scripts

As it happens, on time it happens to be factual information you were read

You've posted under 'community feedback'

Nobody from eBay reads here

Most members are very well aware on the holds on funds, that have been in place for years

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

ebay witholding funds

Interesting if its the item sold on the 24 May or 2nd of June,   the buyer hasnt left feedback as yet!!!

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

ebay witholding funds

Gumtree Lost & Found.

Lost  One Dummy.

Please return to owner.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

ebay witholding funds

I'd personally like to know how you're going to shut down your friend's, family and company accounts? I am seriously interested. If my husband died tomorrow, I'd have hell's own time closing his account down if I didn't know his password (which I do, and he knows mine, for that reason). Maybe your friend's, family and company are happy with their ebay experience.

As mentioned, ebay couldn't care less if you close your account. You aren't even a blip in the universe to them. You closing your account is not going to cause their company to close down, regardless of how important you think you are.

I'll take a bet. We can check your account again in 6 months, and guaranteed it will still be open and active. 99% of people threaten, but never follow through.

I'm amazed that you had 2 identical bracelets. Lucky you! I'm also amazed that in the space of 9 days, postage costs have doubled. 

As for the hold, one of my accounts, I've been selling on for nearly 20 years. The last 2 years have been rather slow, because to be honest, I haven't been putting the work into my current listings and adding new listings, so only have myself to blame. I sold something recently, and yes, my funds were held for 28 days (I was expecting 30 days, so got lucky!).

Them's the rules. Ebay's sandpit, they make the rules. It's to try and stop scammers, and while it doesn't stop all of them, it's certainly slowed them down significantly from hijacking dormant accounts and ripping people off. Personally, I'm all for it if it makes for a safer trading site. You haven't given feedback as a seller for over 5 years, so yes, the new seller rule applies to you. Plus you randomly sold a high priced item.

If your buyers do get around to leaving feedback (which they haven't yet despite what you said), get onto ebay and they may release your funds sooner.

As for Marketplace and Gumtree with the 2 bracelets you sold, good luck with that. Gumtree you'd have been hounded with offers for $150. Marketplace you'd get getting the scammers asking you if you have PayID, then others offering you maybe $250. Threatening to use those sites is also not going to upset ebay. You just forget to mention Amazon to make the trifecta.

Spoiler
Sorry for the novel!
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply