help with stock photos

Hi, I have always taken my own photos, but notice a lot of sellers now have use a photo that appears to be out of a catalogue. They are really clear, and not an actual photo, but I have no idea how and where they get them. Any sellers or buyers know please? They all appear to be a standard picture that all the sellers both here and internationally have access to the same photos of - except me that is... eg look up swarovski duck. Any help would be great thanks.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

help with stock photos

Some sellers may acquire permission from the copyright holders to use stock photos, some wholesalers provide images as part of the purchase, other sellers often take the easy (wrong) way and look online to grab images (which is a breach of copyright laws - Swarovski are more active than some others regarding their IP rights, so it wouldn't surprise me if anyone using their stock images without their permission would eventually be caught out and reported). 

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

help with stock photos

I thought so thanks anyway, but thought maybe there was somewhere simple. A lot of sellers seem to use the stock photos, and I doubt if Swarovski will do anything anyway, as it promotes interest in people collecting.  

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

help with stock photos

No expert here, but I've seen posts relating to eBay having stock photos that can be used.  

Wouldn't have a clue where to look - but apparently they are there for usage by sellers.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

help with stock photos

When you sell books or DVD's if ebay has what you are selling in a catalogue, when listing you get an option of using the stock photo (and description/specifications  of item too). There may  be a stock photo choice offered when listing in other catergories as well.

I wouldn't think brand name owners would have stock photos of current stock available for public access.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

help with stock photos

It may just be me, but I am very sceptical of sellers who use stock pics for items. I like the reassurance that the goods are actually in their possession that actual item pics offer. It also gives a better understanding of the condition of the item.

JMO Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

help with stock photos

I agree, but by the same token, eBay's regs state that the primary image must be of the actual item for sale. However, for items which are brand new then stock images aren't likely to be too much of a hindrance.
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply