how do sellers make profit and offer free postage

Hi,

Im just wondering how sellers on eBay are providing items so cheap and offering free postage?

example..an iphone charger for $6 including free postage.

A normal postage cost for a parcel under 500g is about 6.60

How would you get cheap postage rates or even make a profit on items that are <$6? regardless of dropshipping

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

supercheap  may mean waiting over a month. si if you are  local emphasise speed of delivery

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

There is no such thing as a true FREE POST in Australia.
As a seller I do not offer a Free Post option on my items as I cannot post for free and it would make my items for sale a disproportionate cost if I was to add the postage cost into the sale price.  This would be false and missleading to prospective buyers as the the actual value of the item they are considering purchasing is less.

I use alot of calculated costs for items over 500g so as to give buyers the best postage based on their location.

Combined postage is important to lots of buyers and the new fees being added by ebay to the postage cost is most unfair to those who genuinley charge Australia Posts fee plus nominal packaging amounts for safe postage. (all buyers want to receive their items in one in good condtion).

Australia Post have just increased their postage costs so this fee adds even more pressure onto sellers as further increases are difficult to pass onto the buyer.

Australia Post cannot be too happy about this surely.

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

deb2935
Community Member
Yes and the other thing that happens is the sellers get a deal with a freight company, the deal is very cheap if they take low priority delivery. So the goods take 12 days to reach Perth from Melbourne, when in actual fact it takes 3 or 4 days max with Aust Post from Melb to Perth. The customer pays the price in waiting waiting waiting. Like me at the moment, waiting for a new radiator for my car?! Now up to 10 days of the 12 and it still has not arrived. Not worth it. Should have bought locally and stuff the freight cost at least my car would be going. Ebay can get stuffed.
Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

@deb2935 wrote:
Yes and the other thing that happens is the sellers get a deal with a freight company, the deal is very cheap if they take low priority delivery. So the goods take 12 days to reach Perth from Melbourne, when in actual fact it takes 3 or 4 days max with Aust Post from Melb to Perth. The customer pays the price in waiting waiting waiting. Like me at the moment, waiting for a new radiator for my car?! Now up to 10 days of the 12 and it still has not arrived. Not worth it. Should have bought locally and stuff the freight cost at least my car would be going. Ebay can get stuffed.

I'm not sure it is the same issue, given the 3 and a half years since this thread was last posted to.

My experience is that 2 weeks is par for the course from East to West, or vice versa. I hardly see how your trying to get something cheap is eBay's fault, given that is what people unrealistically expect.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

I buy a lot of things clothes lights skateboard all very cheap free shipping awesome board only $59 how ?
Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

This thread was started 4 YEARS ago.  Why drag up Zombie Threads to tell us what you purchase!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

Do you think your smart?  You just added another comment that has nothing to do with the question.

Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

I click their page coz that answer was ridiculous and they are saying people have no life on threads when they are the one with no life just letting y'all know. They done it on other posts.

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

You are replying to ronaldinho9612 who hasn't been on the boards for 4 YEARS, so it's very unlikely they'll see your post let alone reply to it.

If you don't like the answers that experienced members give here I suggest you deal solely with eBay's customer service - I'm sure you'll get the correct answer to your problems from them every time.......................not.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

Simple

Price included in price or item in CHINA

Chinese Governement provide free postage for small bussineses

that would be great if we have such support here in Australia

Unfortunatelly Australia Postage charges are one of the highest in the World

the only way to offer free postage here, it is to include it in price as you get FEE charged anyway by ebay

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply