i am being harassed by a buyer

Anonymous
Not applicable

a buyer wanted a beanie i had listed.i state no pickups,i am elderly & have a disabled husband.but as she lived in the area i agreed.she didn't bid on the item,but after it came off she emailed saying she had missed it,could  she come pay me cash.i had already relisted it.so told her to bid, if she won it i would send her an invoice minus the postage cost.then she sent me an email stating how dare i charge her postage,that she was trying to save me ebay fees,i have blocked her & told ebay .but have had two emails from her this morning.i am really worried.i feel like closing down my site,so it will all go away

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
8 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

hi

put them in your blocked list.report to ebay

then,delete their emails without reading them after sending them to ebay

and dont feel pressured into allowing pickup

i have heaps of buyers ask and i always politely say no,postsge only

tara

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Yet another example of how Buyers think they can blackmail Sellers into parting with their goods for nothing, or face negative feedback....

I had a student harass me like this over a garment, tried to force pickup instead of paying for postage.  Because of this we don't do pickups at all anymore, if they can harass you online, imagine what they will do face to face.   Block the Buyer in your Block List, there is also an option in BUYER REQUIREMENTS where you can TOTALLY stop them from contacting you.   Try not to be afraid of these people, fear is what they THRIVE on.  Don't be blackmailed about your own goods, it is your stuff, you own it legally, you decide price and to WHOM you will sell it!!!   It's your LEGAL RIGHT to do so!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Imagine if eBay paid Sellers for sharing their expertise, currently eBay only pays a company to run their forums.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

I would not recommencing communication with this person.  Pick up option should no longer be available for the reasons you have stated and would probably make them more aggro.  In addition to adding to your Blocked Buyer List make sure your Site Preferences is ticked to Block Buyer from contacting you and Apply to active and future settings.

Apply above settings to active and future listings.

Existing bids will not be affected.

Turbo Lister will pick up these settings after you sync each item with eBay. Third-party listing tools will pick up these settings after you synchronise the tools with eBay.

Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me. (Buyer won't see the "Contact Seller" button on your Q&A page.) NoteBuyers can still contact you about existing transactions, unless you add them to your blocked list

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

kathleen settle down, most here do understand that some buyers can be very overwhelming.

Just add them to your blocked bidders list and block them from contacting you and move on.

There is no point wasting time over such a buyer, they are only going to upset you.

You have bent over backwards and still they are not happy so I would be thinking they will not be happy should they go ahead and purchase the item.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

It can be quite horrible to strike such a potential buyer, so I agree with others regarding blocking them and reporting every single message they send to ebay, every time. 

Gosh, you have such a very lot of glowing positive feedback from so many buyers, my suggestion is to try to focus on that rather than let just one nasty pastie spoil ebay for you.  

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

SHE WAS VERY VINDICTIVE.I WAS POLITE & NEVER GOT RUFFLED WITH HER.SHE UNDERSTOOD.SHE JUST WANTED EVERYTHING ON HER TERMS

She is trying to INTIMIDATE you Kathleen, it could be that she has done this before and succeeded, she hopes that the aggressive behaviour will scare you into giving in and let her have it on her terms.  You could also lay a charge with the police for harassment and issue her with a warning if she continues to bother you.

Imagine if eBay paid Sellers for sharing their expertise, currently eBay only pays a company to run their forums.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply

@zigzagdot wrote:

SHE WAS VERY VINDICTIVE.I WAS POLITE & NEVER GOT RUFFLED WITH HER.SHE UNDERSTOOD.SHE JUST WANTED EVERYTHING ON HER TERMS

She is trying to INTIMIDATE you Kathleen, it could be that she has done this before and succeeded, she hopes that the aggressive behaviour will scare you into giving in and let her have it on her terms.  You could also lay a charge with the police for harassment and issue her with a warning if she continues to bother you.

**sigh**

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

I had to get really stern with this student I was telling you about, the more I told her I don't allow pickups, the more she tried to get around it.   She suggested us meeting at a central point if she could not come to my house.   She had won the Auction and now I had to try get her to cancel the transaction and of course she was not in the market for that.  She kept insisting wanting to know why I don't allow pickups, which I said was none of her business, I just don't.

Why can't I make an exception, she is just a poor student who lives in my area, she does not mean any harm.  It just went on and on.

I'm really wary of the types that harass you about a piece of clothing, one would think it's just not worth it, that is the scary bit, hard to get rid of them, they just don't take no for an answer.  My case eventually ended with me threatening to go to the Police, in the end she agreed to close the case but it took days of intense correspondence, she just would not give up.  

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

This doesn't really sound that bad... Add her to your Blocked Buyers List, and delete her messages when they come in before you have a chance to read them and you'll be fine 🙂 

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

hi

put them in your blocked list.report to ebay

then,delete their emails without reading them after sending them to ebay

and dont feel pressured into allowing pickup

i have heaps of buyers ask and i always politely say no,postsge only

tara

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Yet another example of how Buyers think they can blackmail Sellers into parting with their goods for nothing, or face negative feedback....

I had a student harass me like this over a garment, tried to force pickup instead of paying for postage.  Because of this we don't do pickups at all anymore, if they can harass you online, imagine what they will do face to face.   Block the Buyer in your Block List, there is also an option in BUYER REQUIREMENTS where you can TOTALLY stop them from contacting you.   Try not to be afraid of these people, fear is what they THRIVE on.  Don't be blackmailed about your own goods, it is your stuff, you own it legally, you decide price and to WHOM you will sell it!!!   It's your LEGAL RIGHT to do so!!!!

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

a buyer wanted a beanie i had listed.i state no pickups,i am elderly & have a disabled husband.but as she lived in the area i agreed.she didn't bid on the item,but after it came off she emailed saying she had missed it,could  she come pay me cash.i had already relisted it.so told her to bid, if she won it i would send her an invoice minus the postage cost.then she sent me an email stating how dare i charge her postage,that she was trying to save me ebay fees,i have blocked her & told ebay .but have had two emails from her this morning.i am really worried.i feel like closing down my site,so it will all go away

Sounds to me more like a case of a misunderstanding, perhaps the buyer got their wires crossed and misinterpreted your message as she seems to be under the impression that you would still charge postage (not that that is any excuse for rudeness or harassment). 

I would try once to explain and clarify the situation as politely as possible, and if that doesn't work, follow the advice as above (block, report messages if necessary, ignore - if they're being abusive, try not to let it get to you and spoil your eBay activities. I know it's easier said than done sometimes, but I usually find the majority of eBayers are great to deal with and more than make up for the few who aren't so great).

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I would not recommencing communication with this person.  Pick up option should no longer be available for the reasons you have stated and would probably make them more aggro.  In addition to adding to your Blocked Buyer List make sure your Site Preferences is ticked to Block Buyer from contacting you and Apply to active and future settings.

Apply above settings to active and future listings.

Existing bids will not be affected.

Turbo Lister will pick up these settings after you sync each item with eBay. Third-party listing tools will pick up these settings after you synchronise the tools with eBay.

Don't allow blocked buyers to contact me. (Buyer won't see the "Contact Seller" button on your Q&A page.) NoteBuyers can still contact you about existing transactions, unless you add them to your blocked list

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

kathleen settle down, most here do understand that some buyers can be very overwhelming.

Just add them to your blocked bidders list and block them from contacting you and move on.

There is no point wasting time over such a buyer, they are only going to upset you.

You have bent over backwards and still they are not happy so I would be thinking they will not be happy should they go ahead and purchase the item.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

It can be quite horrible to strike such a potential buyer, so I agree with others regarding blocking them and reporting every single message they send to ebay, every time. 

Gosh, you have such a very lot of glowing positive feedback from so many buyers, my suggestion is to try to focus on that rather than let just one nasty pastie spoil ebay for you.  

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply