international letter price document vs merchandise

So today I went to a different

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: international letter price document vs merchandise

So today I went to a different post office to what I normally do l to post a letter to the US and put my normal $2.75 stamp on to post.

I was told by the guy there that because I was not sending this letter as a document but as ticked merchandise on the custom form that this stamp would not suffice and I had to be charged a higher rate of $14.10 instead of a $2.75 stamp which he said can only be used if sending a document? Has anyone ever heard of this before? I've never heard of this from any other post office I have been to and have sent hundreds of letters internationally before with just a regular stamp.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

well I don't have that problem because I don't do it that way - no customs forms are required for letters or documents - so I don't do one - just use an international stamp and put it in the red box.

If it was an item of extreme value - for me that is over $50 (lol) I either register it or send it as a parcel with tracking.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Never heard of this. If it fits through the AP letter slot sizing, it's a letter. 

(And letters don't need customs forms.)

Aunty V 🙂

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

lol curraone beat me to it 🙂

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

I use large letters to post CD's internationally, I use a green form description as CD put value at $5, tick merchandise and use a $2.75 stamp. Been doing it for years, no problems.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Yes, I think if I was posting a CD I would use a customs form too, but I agree the postage would only be $2.75 - I think the PO man in question is being officious, best not to use that Post Office.  Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Yeah I won't be going back again. He was saying everyone else is telling you the wrong thing and he was right. It's annoying though as I have moved house and this is the closest to home. 

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

$14.10 is the PARCEL rate to the US,  for - up to 500gms and  up to 20mm in height -  A4 sized envelope.

I presume the items you are sending  are less than 20mm in height and weigh less than 50gms? For postage cost  $2.75.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Any reason why you put a customs form (green sticker) on an item eligible for letter rate?

They are only required for parcels. Which makes me think the PO person is being over officious and wants to send the item as a parcel not a letter.--- item is marked as merchandise, and has a customs sticker on it...

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply