interview with jooman park, CEO of ebay australia

hi guys,

thought some sellers here might be interested in reading this article from "the australian" which contains parts of an interview with jooman park, the CEO of ebay australia for the past 4 years.

it talks about the opening of amazon in australia and ebay's thoughts as a company on that. it's probably a lot of what we've heard before, or expected to happen - but mostly seems like a well-polished "we're awesome" piece Smiley LOL it confirms what we've pretty-much always known, that the buyer is king on ebay. 

http://online.isentialink.com/theaustralian.com.au/2017/08/17/b2673a9e-db82-4897-832a-b39a953345ed.h...

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

“The marketplace model is to partner with as many as possible,” he says, “so the invisible marketplace mechanism, versus one company – who’s going to win?”

I can't comment on this because it went straight over my head.  Smiley Very Happy

Uhhhh... eBay only does one of those things, Amazon does both, so acting like it's a given that the business that only does one of those things is obviously going to win out in the end on that basis alone, seems naively optimistic. (I don't think Amazon is going to destroy eBay, but offering the equivalent of "meh" on the subject is disconcerting). 

I know nothing about Amazon but I've seen you mention that their fee is 20%, or starts at 20%.  While I only pay 9.5% (+gst) in selling fees, by time I take into account the selling fees on postage and the store fee, my fees worked out on my item price are over 17%.  It's way over 20% on my items that are sent as parcels so I'd imagine a few sellers might seriously look at using Amazon, depending on what other conditions they have to meet.

The first quote is Mr Park responding to the question of Amazon being serious competition, and how it will affect eBay, and he's essentially saying Amazon is just one company, while eBay is a collective of thousands of companies. Which clearly neglects the fact that many businesses (big and small) use Amazon the same way they do eBay.

With regards to the fees on Amazon, it actually varies by category like eBay's FVF do, and it;s worth mentioning this is all applicable to the US site, which is where I got approval to sell there, but in my categories the FVF was 20%, it can be as low as 8%, and the most common is 15% (on the total, including shipping, and any other extras the buyer paid for - eg giftwrapping), and a USD$40 per month subscription fee because otherwise it's USD 0.99c per item sold. The fee includes payment processing, as they have their own, and submit the funds to you. 

If someone wants to do fulfillment by Amazon, then there'd be additional costs in getting the stock to their warehouse (it has to be packaged in specific ways, as well). 

For a lot of people, if that structure is maintained when they come here, selling there might be quite comparable to here in terms of fees. For me personally, eBay would have to be failing for me to consider Amazon, more because I already have 2 major channels via third party sites, and any further investment (of time and money) in expanding to another channel I feel would be best spent on my own site. 

Both eBay and Amazon focus on attracting and retaining buyers, and as it stands, Amazon is better at doing that (their policies are, generally, much more buyer-centric than eBay's), and I think  some people who find themselves needing to choose between them as a sales channel, will stick with "the devil they know", and some will abandon eBay in a heartbeat. Maybe some will come back here when Amazon ask them to replace an item for a buyer that the buyer's pet destroyed a couple of days after it was delivered (that actually did happen - it wasn't a demand, just a request, but Smiley Surprised ). 

But they both co-exist in the UK and US, and have done for a while, and I don't think Australia is the marketplace that will become the deciding factor for who wins and who loses. 

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

I think amazon will be a really good fit for certain sellers, but maybe not for others. I've never bought from them because I could never figure out whether they'll post here or not, but someone I used to know bought a lot from them over the years. I used to email a woman in the UK who sold a lot of secondhand items (books, I think) on amazon and it didn't sound too complicated. She said it was better than ebay at the time, but other things were better on ebay.

I'd never sell using fulfillment by Amazon but I assume you don't HAVE to do that. I'd possibly check it out if it didn't seem too complicated. I tried the other E site and gave up after a year or so.
Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I wa banned for selling on ebay without reason no reason given can you pls explain why?

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

Did you notice the date of the last post on this thread????  THREE YEARS AGO.  If you have a problem, contact Ebay, only other & sellers respond on the forums.  You should have got an email from Ebay at the time.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

Hey man, waddaup?  We only sellers on here man.  We can only guess how eBay works.  Half the time it's stuffed and confusing us all.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Oh good. Jooman Park . Now I have a name so the Federal police can summons him for the apparent double dipping scam eBay Australia has been running. Pay at checkout complete then billed total for all orders again days after receiving order paid notification and items sent from sellers . Double dipping, but when you notice and demand immediate refund , lol, you will be told 7 to 30 days then you must harrass them further to get the promised refund. I've been hit twice in two months and have concluded as the money was clearly deducted twice for same order, no interest from staff to correct  no credit showing on my eBay account means likely the funds are bieng used , likely in a very illegal scam to invest the stolen money returning it only when customers get serious about legal and criminal action.....thanks for the name. Now I can give a name of who should be suppeonad .    Don't buy from eBay au is my advise.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Given this thread is 5 years old, I doubt your complaint would have any traction. Maybe try reading the many threads about double-dipping that actually apply to double-dipping. They're a lot easier to find than this one.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Unless eBay au galls prey to regulators and financial laws . I suspect running a blatant/ theft investment scheme funded by double dipping customers bank accounts might just be Thier undoing. They have hit me twice in two months. Admitting the double charging but forcing 7 to 30 days for refund money disappears from bank account , doesn't show as credit on my account so it's safe to say likely being invested for personal profit of directors .........don't buy from eBay . Unless you would like to fund the executives side scam.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply