missing item

I recently posted a 3kg satchel to Surrey Hills with a tracking number. The buyer contacted me about 2 weeks later stating she didn't receive it. A search of the tracking number showed it had been delivered to Surrey Hills 2 days after I posted it via "safe drop" (whatever that is, I didn't request it).

The buyer contacted Australia Post and was told a person unknown to either of us had signed for it. The buyer opened an appeal which was found in her favour because I apparently posted it to the wrong address.

This was a standard 3kg satchel which did not require a signature, sent by tracking, to Surrey Hills. I feel I have been unfairly dealt with, although I do understand that the buyer was left without an item.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

missing item

Yes definitely should have lodged your case with AP first and have that evidence to present to any eBay appeal.
Going to appeal without any new supporting evidence is very likely to fail and you will then have lost your chance to have it overturned.
Good luck with it.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

missing item

The first issue would be determining whether the item was actually sent to the incorrect address (which here means any address that was not provided by the buyer during checkout, even if they requested it to be posted to an alternative address).

If the address you sent it to and the address on the payment notification match, then you have a much better chance to appeal the decision (but virtually 0 chance if they are different, unfortunately). 

I'm a little skeptical of Aus Post's response(s), because 'safe drop' means no signature required, and that no one was home to receive the package, so it was left in a safe place somewhere around the home, so it can't have been safe-dropped and signed for. Which also means you may be able to push the issue with AP if you get no joy appealing with eBay. 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Did you ask the buyer to have a look around her property to see if the item was indeed safe dropped?

As Digi has pointed out, it cannot be safe dropped and signed for.

If the tracking shows it was safe dropped then push Australia Post for the photograph of the safe drop place....a safe drop must have a photo taken to identify where it was left.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

These days when a delivery driver "safe drops" a parecl he is supposed to take a photo of where it was left.

The delivery scanners have a camera function in them that also records the GPS location the photo was taken at.

This photo can be provided upon request to AP and should clearly show if/not it was at the buyer's actual address.

So I would be onto AP and request this photo, good chance they have it.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

I just now spoke with my son who works in the AP call centre in Brisbane. He says only the recipient can request the photo but it will almost certainly exist.
However, he recommends you call AP tomorrow after 5pm (up until 7pm) which will avoid wait queues, and raise a disputed delivery case.
This will cause the local delivery centre to investigate the delivery and especially the GPS coordinates. This will confirm the actual street address it was dropped at. They will confirm the result to you. If the confirmed delivery address agrees with the buyer's address you should be able to use that info to overturn the eBay decision against you.
It could take up to 10 days for the process to complete tho.
Good luck.
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

Thanks for your help everyone. I have lodged an appeal and will see where that goes.

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

An appeal against the eBay decision?
Or with AP?
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

If it is an appeal against the ebay decision you will not get anywhere without the backup of proof from AP as to where it was delivered.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

Against the eBay decision.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

missing item

But have you got your proof of where the item was delivered?

Without that you have wasted your chance.   If this appeal fails you will probably not get another chance.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply