paid for product seller then says its not working and tries to sell me something more expensive

Brought and paid for an item. Seller then tells the item is not working, but tries to sell me another item but costs $20 extra. I refused the $20 offer and countered that with a $10 offer instead. Without an explanation seller refunds my money. No problems there. The item he said wasn't working is still online, the same description and the same price?

a) is the seller giving the same story to all those who paid, and then he gives them the same offer? 

b) I believe the product should be in working order before posting.

c) The product thats not working, should be taken down. 

Its a scam to upsell 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

paid for product seller then says its not working and tries to sell me something more expensive

Could be genuine, could be a rort.

You have feedback to describe your eBay experience. Keep it factual and wait until you cool off. Smiley Wink

Otherwise the seller may be able to have it removed.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@kiwimail,

From what you've posted, it seems that the seller has relisted the item - is that correct?

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but what you've described does sound as though the seller is avoiding eBay fees by listing in this way. However, perhaps the relisting was automatic and the seller isn't aware of it.

Have you tried contacting the seller with a polite message asking if the item is now working, as you would be happy to repurchase in that case?

Would you like fellow eBay members here to have a look at the listing, to see if anything is sticking out as a problem? As far as I am aware (having just re-read the Community content policy), it is permissible to post an item number when asking about whether there is an eBay issue related to that item (but other eBay posters may know of more information in relation to this).

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Yeah.  I'm a sticky beak.    hmmm.gif

I'd like an item number too 

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

It could be a "bait and switch" scam.  For a full explanation, try searching the Internet for this.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply