postage in australia

Hello can anyone help me with this question so I do not have to line up twice at the post office,when a buyer pays for postage does that include the packing i.e 3 kilo medium size sachel?

I usually supply packing at my cost but wondering if I am doing this wrong?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

postage in australia

It's up to each seller how they set up postage in eBay listings.

I for example if the parcel is around $7.50 will have $10 postage in the listing as I usually use tissue paper, bubblewrap, tape, box etc as packing.

It is quite normal for sellers to have $2-3 for packing and handling.

So if you are paying $13.11 for the satchel and postage, you might make the postage $15 in the listing to include packing.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

true ,but then I am getting charged from ebay for handling and postage so I dont get it?

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

can you tell from my picture if I am suppose to buy the sachel or the buyer?

thank you for your help,I have a baby and I do not want to line up to ask the post office as the line is about 10 people deep.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

Yes and many sellers, myself included factor in eBay fees in the price of the item.

So if I sell a $60 item with $10 postage, I will list it at $68 to cover fees.

You buy the satchel, pack it, address it and send. That's part of selling.

You get the satchels a little cheaper if you buy in lots.

image host
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

eBay factor your postal charge into the Final Value Fee they levy on the sold item: they add the item's sell price and the postal charge, and charge you 10% of the total. If you charge $10 post, ebay will effectively charge you $1 of that, not the whole $10.

I've calculated my postal charges allowing for that, as do many sellers.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

You are going to pay ebay commission on the postage and handling as well as the item cost anyway.

Using Kopes example, if you add $3 for postage and handling you will give ebay roughly 30c leaving you $2.70 towards your expenses.

If you don't charge that $3 you are out of pocket for all your packing costs.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

You buy the satchel, and charge the buyer the cost of it.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

Thank you everyone, so do I add that cost in the cost of the item or separeate in the shipping? Sorry I am pretty ebay naive.I know I am doing it all wrong well what I have been doing so far.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

postage in australia

All our stuff is listed as "FREE" postage.

But when we are figuring out the price to list an item we include (among other things) Post, Packaging and Handling (PP&H).

This includes not only the cost of the stamps themselves but the cost of the envelope, the address label we use, the liner plastic bag we use and a very small fee for our time to pack it. Also never forget the ebay fee on top of all that as well. So we don't profit from postage costs but make sure it is all included into the item final price so we don't lose anything on it.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply